Observe changes in nature. During the days at sea the chances of meeting whales are high. Witness the northbound spring migration of northern birds like arctic terns and long-tailed skuas who join you in crossing the Equator (“the Line”) on this epic Atlantic Ocean expedition cruise.
Day 1 : Ascension Island | Embark Days 2-5 : At Sea Day 6 : Praia, Cape Verde | Disembark
Embark in Ascension Island and observe the sooty tern colony
Witness the northbound spring migration of northern birds
Cross the equator line joined by arctic terns and long-tailed skuas
Stroll around the city of Praia, the capital of the Cape Verdes
In the evening the vessel departs from Ascension Island. Ascension Island is a volcano in the middle of the ocean, about 1,280 kilometres (800 miles) to the northwest of St. Helena. It is a dry island with a moist and richly-vegetated peak named Green Mountain (859 metres; 2818 feet). For more than 300 years after its discovery, in 1501, the island was uninhabited. The few visitors were deterred from settling due to the aridity. It was eventually occupied in 1815 by the British who wished to prevent any possible use by the French for an attempt to release Napoleon from St. Helena.
Witness the northbound spring migration of northern birds like arctic terns and long-tailed skuas that join you to cross the Equator ("the Line").
Day 6 Praia, Cape Verde | Disembark
Disembark at 9.00 hours*. Passengers who fly from Praia on the night of April 28 / 29 are offered an excursion in Praia on Sao Tiago.
Make an excursion to Cidade Velha, steeped in history, and observe the massive fortress on the hill built to deter English marauders in the period when the Crowns of Portugal and Spain were united and Portuguese possessions became as fair game to the likes of Drake and Raleigh as were Spanish ones. See the ruins of the Cathedral, the oldest Christian Church in the tropics, and the slave whipping post in the main square. The village is well-watered and there are plantations of sugar cane, which support a rum distillery, and several species of birds. Have another guided stroll around the City of Praia, which is the capital of the Cape Verdes, and which has given rise to a unique variety of folk music, which you shall hear as you pass the various bars!
* There are reserved rooms for the disembarking passengers in a hotel in Praia. Your luggage is collected and you can freshen up at the end of your excursion before traveling to the airport in the night or to hotels if you are staying longer in Praia.
2 cabins with private facilities, 1 bunk bed and 1 lower berth. (ca. 15 m2)
Select a Date
Twin with Porthole
9 twin private cabins with porthole. Two Lower berths. (ca. 15 m2)
Select a Date
Twin with Window
26 twin private cabins with window. Two Lower berths (ca. 15 m2)
Select a Date
2 twin private deluxe cabins. Lower berths - two single beds.(ca. 15 m2)
Select a Date
10 twin superior cabins. Lower berths (either two single beds or one queen-size bed (ca. 21 m2)
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double or triple occupancy. Request the Twin or Triple Share Program where you are matched with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if a cabin mate is not found for you, no single supplement will be charged.
- Single occupancy: All cabins 1.7 times the share twin price
- Due to the extreme nature of itinerary destinations, travel insurance is mandatory for all cruises aboard the Plancius - including medical, accident and repatriation/evacuation insurance.
This itinerary is for guidance only. Programs may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions, the availability of landing sites and opportunities to see wildlife. The final itinerary will be determined by the Expedition Leader on board. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises.
• Voyage aboard the designated vessel as indicated in the itinerary
• All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee, and tea
• All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
• Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes aboard
• Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
• All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
• Comprehensive pre-departure material
• Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
• Pre- and post land arrangements
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes
• Meals ashore
• Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory)
• Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
• The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided)
Please Note: It is agreed that if world fuel prices will reach or exceed US Dollar 120 per Barrel Brent 90 days prior to departure, the MV Plancius reserves the right to levy a fuel surcharge of US Dollar $400 per passenger.
We are so glad that we chose Adventure Life. The service is top-notch. Everything is well taken care of and we just have to print the documents and go. Franny even gave us timely updates on possible airport strike.