Explore the Antarctic Peninsula and enjoy the most dramatic scenery and biggest variety of wildlife in Antarctica on this special 10-day cruise. In addition, this departure is specially timed to maximize the whale watching opportunity. Voyage polar waters in search of massive and elusive whales. This classic Antarctic route to the Antarctic Peninsula is a popular way to make the most of your polar voyage experience.
Day 1 : Ushuaia | Embark Days 2-3 : Drake Passage Days 4-7 : Antarctic Peninsula Days 8-9 : Drake Passage Day 10 : Ushuaia | Disembark
Sail across the Drake Passage - enjoy bird watching and spot icebergs
Set foot on the Antarctic Continent in a magnificent landscape of glaciers
Zodiac cruise by alpine peaks and a myriad of icebergs
Observe humpback whales and minke whales on your way to Neumayer Channel
In the afternoon, embark in Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina, the southernmost city in the world located in the shadow of the Andes and right at the Beagle Channel shore. Sail through this scenic waterway during the afternoon.
During these two days sail across the Drake Passage. When crossing the Antarctic Convergence, arrive in the circum-Antarctic up welling zone. In this area you may see wandering albatrosses, grey headed albatrosses, black- browed albatrosses, light- mantled sooty albatrosses, Cape pigeons, southern fulmars, Wilson’s storm petrels, blue petrels, and Antarctic petrels. Near the South Shetland Islands, catch a glimpse of the first icebergs.
Sail directly to “High Antarctica”, passing the Melchior Islands and the Schollaert Channel between Brabant and Anvers Island. On Cuverville Island, a small precipitous island, nestled between the mountains of the Antarctic Peninsula and Danco Island, find a large colony of gentoo penguins and breeding pairs of brown skuas. On Ronge Island observe chinstrap penguins and possibly Weddell and crabeater seals. In Neko Harbor have the opportunity to set foot on the Antarctic Continent in a magnificent landscape of huge glaciers and enjoy the landscape during zodiac cruises.
When sailing to Paradise Bay, with its myriad icebergs and deep-cut fjords, have the opportunity for zodiac cruising between the icebergs in the inner parts of the fjords. In this area there are good chances to see humpback whales and minke whales.
After sailing through the Neumayer Channel, visit the old British research station and post office at Port Lockroy on Goudier Island. Close to Port Lockroy this ship may land on Jougla Point with gentoo penguins and imperial shags.
Sail through the spectacular Lemaire Channel to Pleneau and Petermann Island where you can find Adelie penguins and blue-eyed shags. In this area there are good chances to encounter humpback whales and minke whales. Further south visit the Ukrainian Vernadsky Station, where you receive a warm welcome from the station crew.
Sailing north through Neumayer Channel to Pléneau and Petermann Island, find Adelie penguins and blue-eyed shags. In this area there are good chances to encounter humpback whales, minke whales, and fin whales. Sailing north through Gerlache Strait arrive at the Wilhelmina Bay where you may see feeding humpback whales. Arrive at the Melchior Islands with a very beautiful landscape with icebergs, where you may encounter leopard seals, crabeater seals, and whales.
2 cabins with private facilities, 1 bunk bed and 1 lower berth. (ca. 15 m2)
Select a Date
Twin with Porthole
9 twin private cabins with porthole. Two Lower berths. (ca. 15 m2)
Select a Date
Twin with Window
26 twin private cabins with window. Two Lower berths (ca. 15 m2)
Select a Date
2 twin private deluxe cabins. Lower berths - two single beds.(ca. 15 m2)
Select a Date
10 twin superior cabins. Lower berths (either two single beds or one queen-size bed (ca. 21 m2)
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double or triple occupancy. Request the Twin or Triple Share Program where you are matched with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if a cabin mate is not found for you, no single supplement will be charged.
- Single occupancy: All cabins 1.7 times the share twin price
- Due to the extreme nature of itinerary destinations, travel insurance is mandatory for all cruises aboard the Plancius - including medical, accident and repatriation/evacuation insurance.
All itineraries are for guidance only. Programs may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions, the availability of landing sites, and opportunities to see wildlife. The final itinerary will be determined by the Expedition Leader on board. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises.
• Voyage aboard the designated vessel as indicated in the itinerary
• All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee, and tea
• All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
• Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
• Luggage transfer from pick-up point to the vessel on the day of embarkation, in Ushuaia
• Pre-scheduled group transfer from the vessel to the airport in Ushuaia (directly after disembarkation)
• All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
• Comprehensive pre-departure material
• Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
• Pre- and post land arrangements
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes.
• Meals ashore
• Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory)
• Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
• The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided)
It is agreed that if world fuel prices will reach or exceed US Dollar $120 per Barrel Brent 90 days prior to departure, the MV Plancius reserves the right to levy a fuel surcharge of US $25 per passenger per night.
The trip was terrific with great planning on your part. Most of the adventures were not mainstream and somewhat off the beaten path which made it especially enjoyable!! We felt taken care of and you all were readily available to respond to questions and issues. I would highly recommend your company and friends have already expressed interest based on our pictures and excitement.