This exciting Antarctic cruise voyages the famed Drake Passage, explores the wildlife rich shores of the South Shetland Islands, and will make numerous stops along the Antarctic Peninsula. A trip of a lifetime aboard the Sea Spirit, join in on this 12-day Antarctic tour.
Day 1 : Ushuaia, Argentina Day 2 : Embarkation Day Day 3 : Cape Horn Day 4 : Crossing the Drake Passage Days 5-9 : South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula Days 10-11 : Drake Passage to Ushuaia Day 12 : Disembarkation in Ushuaia
With a population of more than 63,000 people, Ushuaia is the southernmost city in the world. The city has grown over the past few years, yet retained an easy-going and accessible feel. With the sea to the south and mountains to the north, Ushuaia is a spectacular departure point for your Antarctic cruise. If you arrive early, you can spend some time in the nearby Tierra del Fuego National Park, enjoy some Argentinean wines and barbeques in the city, or visit the many boutique shops and cafes before for your expedition to Antarctica.
Embarkation will occur in the late afternoon, after which your vessel will sail down the Beagle Channel. This historic channel transects the Tierra del Fuego archipelago in the extreme south of South America. Expect an air of excitement as you depart - the next time you see land, it will be the world’s most southern continent!
Prepare yourself for potentially rough waters, but hope for a smooth sailing as the Drake is unpredictable and always changing. Spend these first days getting to know your shipmates, while receiving safety briefings and insights into what excitement lies ahead.
Day 5-9 South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula
When the Antarctic Convergence is left in your wake, you will truly begin your Antarctic adventure. It is perhaps the first sight of land itself that is embraced as the true beginning of any Antarctic expedition. You can begin to appreciate why this region has long captivated the attention of explorers and travelers alike. Every time your ship has visited Antarctica, something new or unexpected has been witnessed, making your expedition unlike any other.
Take Zodiac excursions from the ship to explore remote bays, channels and landing sites each day. With wildlife always at the forefront of your minds, visit penguin rookeries, scout for humpback and minke whales, and search for a number of the southern seal species, including the cunning leopard seal.
The majesty of the Peninsula’s mountains will enchant you as you scramble up snowy pathways to vantage points offering you 360° views of your surroundings. One of these in particular, in Orne Harbor, gives the opportunity to visit a chinstrap penguin colony high up on a ridge. Here you’ll have the choice between going for a mountain hike or spending time sitting quietly on a pebbled beach to enjoy the antics of the curious penguins. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, participating in the Polar Plunge swim is about as crazy as it gets!
The journey back across the Drake Passage provides you with some final opportunities to enjoy the crisp Antarctic air. Spend time on the deck watching for seabirds and scouting for whales, enjoy a few final presentations by your Expedition Team, or simply relax and reminisce about your experiences.
Day 12 Disembarkation in Ushuaia
Arrive in Ushuaia in the morning and continue your adventure or catch your flights home.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published.
Below per person rate based on previous season.
Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Oceanus Deck, 250 sq ft. Window, 2 twins or king bed, pull out sofa bed. Private bath facilities.
Main deck, 215 sq ft. 2 portholes, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities.
Oceanus deck, 250 sq ft. Window, 2 twin beds or king bed, private bath facilities.
Club deck, 235 sq ft. Picture window, walk in closet, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities.
Sports deck, 277 sq ft. Sliding glass door and private balcony. Walk-in closet, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities.
Sun Deck, 353 sq ft. Sliding glass door and private balcony, picture window, sitting area, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities
Sun deck, spacious living room and meeting area, HD TV, sound system, sliding glass door to private sun deck. King bed in separate sleeping area, large bathroom with jetted tub.
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double occupancy. Request the Twin Share Program where you are matched with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if a cabin mate is not found for you, no single supplement will be charged.
-Cabins are available for single occupancy at 1.7 times the double occupancy rate. The supplement for a suite is 2 times the shared rate.
-Emergency medical evacuation coverage for a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person is included. Contact us for details on arranging additional travel insurance.
Important reminder: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy – and excitement – of expedition travel. There are no guarantees that everything can be accomplished. A measure of flexibility is something all must bring to a voyage. There are nearly 200 recognized sites in the Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetlands and the places mentioned above may be changed to others equally as interesting.
- One night pre-expedition hotel accommodation with breakfast in Ushuaia as indicated in the itinerary.
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping.
- All breakfasts, lunches and dinners on board throughout your voyage.
- Fine dining and an “open bar” offering unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
- A 10MB card providing internet access via the ship’s wireless connection.
- All shore landings per the daily program.
- Leadership throughout the voyage by your experienced Expedition Leader, including shore landings and other activities.
- All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program.
- Formal and informal presentations by your Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled.
- Photographic Journal on DVD, documenting the voyage.
- A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings.
- An official parka to keep.
- Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock.
- Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin.
- Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Antarctic Reader.
- A group transfer upon disembarkation in Ushuaia from the ship to the local airport.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program.
- All luggage handling aboard ship.
- Emergency Evacuation Insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $100,000 per person.
We are so glad that we chose Adventure Life. The service is top-notch. Everything is well taken care of and we just have to print the documents and go. Franny even gave us timely updates on possible airport strike.