Experience the true Spirit of Antarctica as you explore the 7th continent by land and sea on this 12 day polar cruise. As you sail across the Drake Passage anticipation builds for the first glimpse of icebergs and snow capped mountains! Aboard Zodiacs, explore penguin rookeries, historic sites and scientific stations, and cruise near exquisite icebergs. Kayakers glide into secluded bays, while climbers ascend pristine peaks and snorkellers delight in marine discoveries. The possibilities are endless on this Antarctic voyage.
Day 1 : Fly Punta Arenas to Puerto Williams | Embark Days 2-3 : Drake Passage Days 4-9 : Antarctic Peninsula Days 10-11 : Drake Passage Day 12 : Disembark in Ushuaia
Watch wildlife come alive from the mid-night sun
Explore historic sites and scientific stations
Penguin highways busy with parents and chicks
Sail waterways alive with whales and seals
Camping, alpine climbing, and extended kayaking trips
Fly from Punta Arenas to Puerto Williams. Enjoy a guided tour of the rustic port and beautiful surrounds. Embark Polar Pioneer in the late afternoon for introductory and safety briefings, then set sail along the Beagle Channel.
Your Drake Passage crossing offers Cape petrels darting about the ship, black-browed and wandering albatross soaring, and Wilson’s storm petrels flitting above the sea. Learn about Antarctica at informative talks by the ship's expert naturalist, and learn about safety and environmental guidelines from your expedition team as you prepare for adventures ahead.
An overnight passage along Gerlache Strait delivers you to the stunning Antarctic Peninsula, an ethereal wonderland of vast proportions. Aboard Zodiacs, explore penguin rookeries, historic sites and scientific stations, and cruise near exquisite icebergs. Kayakers glide into secluded bays, while climbers ascend pristine peaks and snorkellers delight in marine discoveries.
Stepping ashore on the continent itself creates an everlasting memory. Make the most of every day and a fair bit of each night. Bubble-netting humpbacks demand a wake-up call, even at midnight! A curious leopard seal cruising amongst spectacular icebergs may mean postponing lunch, and after dinner load into Zodiacs for an orca cruise.
Your expedition team makes the most of every day and a fair bit of each night as well. If the weather allows, join a sleep-out on the ice – a must for any Antarctic explorer!
As the Captain steers the ship north across Drake Passage, your mind and soul revels in rich Antarctic experiences. There’s time to watch for seabirds, enjoy entertaining talks, discuss what you’ve seen and learned, and exchange photos and stories. With luck, you may make a ceremonial rounding of Cape Horn before sharing a farewell dinner.
Day 12 Disembark in Ushuaia
Enjoy a gentle cruise along the Beagle Channel in the early morning. Disembark after breakfast for onward travel or to savor more time in Ushuaia.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published.
Below per person rate based on previous season.
Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Triple Cabins have two lower and one upper berth, a desk, a small washbasin, storage and hanging space and portholes. Showers and toilets are very close by and are shared with other Main Deck cabins.
Twin Shared Cabins have two lower bunks, a desk, small washbasin, ample storage and hanging space and portholes. Showers and toilets are very close by and are shared with other Main Deck cabins.
Twin Private Cabins have two lower bunks, a desk, windows, and a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin. Two cabins have upper and lower bunks (cabins 402 and 403).
Mini Suites have a separate small bedroom with double bed, a sofa bed in the main room, a desk, video player and TV, windows and a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin.
The Suite features a large lounge area, a separate small bedroom with double bed, a sofabed in the main room, a video player and TV, refrigerator, large forward and side facing windows, and a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin.
Please note that all of Polar Pioneer itineraries are at the mercy of weather conditions and not all landings are guaranteed. These itineraries are flexible and will change voyage to voyage, allowing the best chance to make the most of surprising wildlife displays and unexpected opportunities.
- Rates represent costs per person, double or triple occupancy. Request the Twin or Triple Share Program where you are matched with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if a cabin mate is not found for you, no single supplement will be charged.
- Single costs are 1.7 times the twin rate
• One night accommodation in Punta Arenas pre voyage
• Transfer from hotel to Punta Arenas airport
• Flight from Punta Arenas to King George Island
• Luggage transfer from King George Island airstrip to Polar Pioneer
• Accommodation during the voyage
• All meals, snacks, tea and coffee during the voyage
• All shore excursions and Zodiac (inflatable boat) cruises
• Educational lectures and guiding services from your expert team
• Access to your on board doctor and basic medical services
• Loan of gumboots during the voyage
• Daily cabin service
• Comprehensive pre-departure information
• Aurora Expeditions waterproof jacket
• Professionally produced voyage journal (one per booking)
• Port taxes and charges
• All entry fees to historic landings sites
• International or domestic flights to or from ship, unless specified
• Transfers not mentioned in the itinerary
• Airport arrival or departure taxes
• Visa, passport, and vaccination charges
• Travel insurance or emergency evacuation charges
• Hotels and meals not included in itinerary
• Optional excursions not included in the itinerary
• Optional activity surcharge. Please contact us if you wish to book any optional activities, such as sea kayaking
• All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages and soft drinks, laundry services, personal clothing, medical expenses, gratuities, and email or phone charges.
Everything was amazing! The planning with Adventure Life went smoothly. The actual trip was fantastic! One of the best trips I have experienced. The cruise staff members were knowledgeable and attentive. I will be writing more about this on the blog!