Embark on this 11-day voyage and celebrate Christmas in traditional Antarctic style! Take advantage of the near-midnight sun, which powers an explosion of life along the shore and brightens the thought of camping out or or extended kayaking trips. Penguin highways are busy with traffic as parents hurry to fatten chicks, and waterways are alive with whales and seals. Visit historic sites and step onto the most spectacular continent on Earth as you enjoy the most wonderful time of the year!
Day 1 : Ushuaia, Argentina | Embark Days 2-3 : Drake Passage Days 4-9 : Antarctic Peninsula Day 10 : King George Island | Disembark | Fly to Punta Arenas Day 11 : Punta Arenas, Chile
Fly over the Drake Passage and enjoy more time exploring the Peninsula
Experience a wonderland of wildlife including penguins, dolphins, and seals
Explore penguin rookeries, historic sites, and working scientific stations
Camp out under the midnight sun and kayak into secluded bays
Celebrate a White Christmas in one of the most beautiful places on Earth
Enjoy a hearty, late afternoon welcome from your friendly staff and Russian crew. Settle in to your cabin and explore the ship before setting sail in the evening. Excitement lifts as the ship sails down the Beagle Channel. Be sure to keep watch for Magellanic penguins, dolphins, and albatrosses.
The Drake Passage crossing offers excellent bird watching from the outer decks or the warmth of the bridge. Learn about Antarctica from the on-board naturalist’s informative talks, and about safety and environmental guidelines from expedition staff. Meet fellow travelers, chat, read, and prepare for the days ahead. Keen eyes watch for icebergs, while king cormorants fly by, and the appearance of penguins and fur seals heralds the ship's approach to the South Shetlands.
An overnight passage along Gerlache Strait delivers you to the stunning Antarctic Peninsula, an ethereal wonderland of vast proportions. If weather permits, early risers are rewarded with spectacular views of ice-clad mountains along the Danco Coast, then soaring Anvers Island. Over the next six days explore penguin rookeries, historic sites, and scientific stations and celebrate Christmas with your expedition 'family' in one of the most beautiful places on Earth. In Zodiacs cruise amongst an iceberg fantasia, where seals bask on floes and kayakers glide into secluded bays. Off the ship is a desirable place to be, even camping out one night if conditions allow. Thanks to the small number of expeditioners on board, spontaneity and flexibility is possible, enhanced enjoyment the result.
Day 10 King George Island | Disembark | Fly to Punta Arenas
Arrive at mountainous King George Island, the largest of the South Shetland Islands. Time and weather permitting, explore Fildes Bay and visit the Russian Orthodox Trinity Church at Bellingshausen Station, before catching a charter flight back to Punta Arenas in Chile and being transferred to your overnight accommodation.
Day 11 Punta Arenas, Chile
After breakfast, bid farewell to your fellow travelers before continuing on with your own arrangements.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published.
Below per person rate based on previous season.
Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Select a Date
Triple Cabins have two lower and one upper berth, a desk, a small washbasin, storage and hanging space and portholes. Showers and toilets are very close by and are shared with other Main Deck cabins.
Select a Date
Twin Shared Cabins have two lower bunks, a desk, small washbasin, ample storage and hanging space and portholes. Showers and toilets are very close by and are shared with other Main Deck cabins.
Select a Date
Twin Private Cabins have two lower bunks, a desk, windows, and a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin. Two cabins have upper and lower bunks (cabins 402 and 403).
Select a Date
Mini Suites have a separate small bedroom with double bed, a sofa bed in the main room, a desk, video player and TV, windows and a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin.
Select a Date
The Suite features a large lounge area, a separate small bedroom with double bed, a sofabed in the main room, a video player and TV, refrigerator, large forward and side facing windows, and a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin.
Please note that all of Polar Pioneer itineraries are at the mercy of weather conditions and not all landings are guaranteed. These itineraries are flexible and will change voyage to voyage, allowing the best chance to make the most of surprising wildlife displays and unexpected opportunities.
- Rates represent costs per person, double or triple occupancy. Request the Twin or Triple Share Program where you are matched with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if a cabin mate is not found for you, no single supplement will be charged.
- Single costs are 1.7 times the twin rate
• One night accommodation in Punta Arenas pre- or post- voyage
• Transfer between Punta Arenas airport and hotel (or vice versa)
• Flight from Punta Arenas to King George Island (or vice versa)
• Luggage transfer from King George Island
• Shipboard accommodation with daily cabin service
• All shipboard meals and snacks, including tea and coffee
• All shore excursions and Zodiac outings
• Guiding services by your expert team, including lecture program
• Basic medical services, if required
• Port taxes, charges and landing fees
• Luggage transfer to ship
• Loan of expedition boots during voyage
• Comprehensive pre-departure information, including destination primer
• A waterproof polar jacket to keep
• Photo book from images taken during your voyage
• Flights or transfers to or from expedition starting point
• Arrival or departure taxes
• Visa, passport and vaccination charges
• Any arrangements, tours or optional activities not included in the expedition itinerary
• Travel insurance
• All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages, laundry services, personal clothing, gratuities, medical expenses and email or phone charges.
Our guide and driver were very good with their knowledge and were very helpful with our questions. It was a very pleasant visit that would have been impossible to do on our own. Hotels and restaurants were fantastic. The special places we got to go to, like the kitchens, were great. Enjoyed the entire trip!