Celebrate crossing latitude 66° 33’ South in the wake of hallowed explorers including the first to do so, Captain James Cook, on this unique 11-day Antarctic cruise. In this frozen area of extraordinary beauty, powerful orcas and leopard seals patrol the waters, while ethereal snow petrels grace the skies against a background of bristling mountains and surreal icebergs. Sail through an intricate system of icy waterways and reach the glorious Crystal Sound at the mouth of The Gullet.
Day 1 : Ushuaia | Embark | Beagle Channel Day 2 : Drake Passage Day 3 : Antarctic Peninsula Days 4-9 : Antarctica Day 10 : King George Island | Disembark | Fly to Punta Arenas Day 11 : Punta Arenas
Fly over the Drake Passage and enjoy more time for exploring Antarctica
Zodiac cruise among ice floes replete with basking Weddell & leopard seals
Cross the Antarctic Circle and try to reach the magnificent Crystal Sound
Explore penguin and seal-rich waters of Fildes Bay & visit Trinity Church
Discover Antarctica´s wildlife, including orcas, humpback, and minke whales
Cross the Drake Passage, accompanied by albatross, petrels, fulmars, and prions. Polar experts speak about Antarctica’s unique wildlife and history and prepare you for landings with environmental and Zodiac briefings.
Spirits soar as air and water temperatures fall, marking your crossing of the Antarctic Convergence. All eyes are peeled for the first iceberg, the first penguin, and the first glimpse of land, the mercurial sea stacks outlying the South Shetland Islands. If conditions allow, go ashore this afternoon.
Explore the Peninsula’s west coast, with time to watch the frenzied activities of penguin parents and chicks as the summer days begin to shorten. Watch for imperial cormorant chicks bravely making their first flights from sea cliffs. Zodiac cruise amongst icebergs and floes replete with basking Weddell and leopard seals and revel in the unparalleled beauty of vast Antarctic landscapes. Besides landing on wildlife-rich offshore islands, make a continental landing, possibly hiking up for spectacular views.
As you continue south, ice conditions govern the ship's movements. Whether you cross the Circle via the ‘inner route’ or the Bellingshausen Sea, you celebrate in style.
With luck reach magnificent Crystal Sound, pass through the Gullet, and steam on to Marguerite Bay, where relatively few have gone before. Orcas, humpbacks, and minkes feed in the channels. You may visit historical Stonington, Pourquoi Pas, and Detaille islands before turning north to warmer climes.
Day 10 King George Island | Disembark | Fly to Punta Arenas
Arrive at mountainous King George Island. If time and weather permit explore penguin and seal-rich waters of Fildes Bay and visit the surprising Trinity Church at Bellingshausen Station, before catching your included charter flight back to Punta Arenas in Chile. Upon arrival in Punta Arenas transfer to your hotel, where tonight’s accommodation is included.
Day 11 Punta Arenas
Enjoy breakfast with your fellow expeditioners in the hotel before saying your farewells and continuing with your own arrangements.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published.
Below per person rate based on previous season.
Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Triple Cabins have two lower and one upper berth, a desk, a small washbasin, storage and hanging space and portholes. Showers and toilets are very close by and are shared with other Main Deck cabins.
Twin Shared Cabins have two lower bunks, a desk, small washbasin, ample storage and hanging space and portholes. Showers and toilets are very close by and are shared with other Main Deck cabins.
Twin Private Cabins have two lower bunks, a desk, windows, and a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin. Two cabins have upper and lower bunks (cabins 402 and 403).
Mini Suites have a separate small bedroom with double bed, a sofa bed in the main room, a desk, video player and TV, windows and a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin.
The Suite features a large lounge area, a separate small bedroom with double bed, a sofabed in the main room, a video player and TV, refrigerator, large forward and side facing windows, and a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin.
Please note that all of Polar Pioneer itineraries are at the mercy of weather conditions and not all landings are guaranteed. These itineraries are flexible and will change voyage to voyage, allowing the best chance to make the most of surprising wildlife displays and unexpected opportunities.
- Rates represent costs per person, double or triple occupancy. Request the Twin or Triple Share Program where you are matched with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if a cabin mate is not found for you, no single supplement will be charged.
- Single costs are 1.7 times the twin rate
Ushuaia to Punta Arenas Inclusions:
• Luggage transfer from Ushuaia hotel to Polar Pioneer on day of voyage departure
• Luggage transfer on King George Island
• Flight from King George Island to Punta Arenas
• Transfer from Punta Arenas airport to hotel
• One night accommodation in Punta Arenas post voyage
Punta Arenas to Ushuaia Inclusions:
• One night accommodation in Punta Arenas pre-voyage
• Transfer from hotel to Punta Arenas airport
• Flight from Punta Arenas to King George Island
• Luggage transfer on King George Island
• Shipboard accommodation with daily cabin service
• All shipboard meals and snacks, including tea and coffee
• All shore excursions and Zodiac outings
• Guiding services by your expert team, including lecture program
• Basic medical services, if required
• Port taxes, charges and landing fees
• Luggage transfer to ship
• Loan of expedition boots during voyage
• Comprehensive pre-departure information, including destination primer
• A waterproof polar jacket to keep
• Photo book from images taken during your voyage.
• Flights or transfers to or from expedition starting point
• Arrival or departure taxes
• Visa, passport and vaccination charges
• Any arrangements, tours or optional activities not included in the expedition itinerary
• Travel insurance
• All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages, laundry services, personal clothing, gratuities, medical expenses and email or phone charges.
The trip was terrific with great planning on your part. Most of the adventures were not mainstream and somewhat off the beaten path which made it especially enjoyable!! We felt taken care of and you all were readily available to respond to questions and issues. I would highly recommend your company and friends have already expressed interest based on our pictures and excitement.