Explore the best of Greenland’s west coast on this 13-day Arctic small ship voyage, including one of the fastest and most active glaciers in the world. Crossing into the Canadian waters en route to Resolute, you’ll encounter spectacular limestone bird cliffs and Beechey Island, landing site of the Franklin Expedition.
Day 1 : Copenhagen, Denmark Day 2 : Embarkation Day in Kangerlussuaq Days 3-7 : West Greenland Day 8 : Coburg Island Days 9-11 : Lancaster Sound Day 12 : Disembarkation Day in Resolute Day 13 : Return Home
Ancient archaeological sites, massive fjords, Zodiac excursions and tundra hikes await you on this Greenland tour. Sisimiut, your first planned stop, has the feel of a small fishing village with a great harbor for walking around and taking photos. You’ll get to watch a demonstration of traditional kayaking before venturing further north to Ilulissat.
A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Ilulissat is home to the Sermeq Kujalleq glacier, one of the fastest and most active glaciers in the world. In additon to some spectacular Zodiac cruising, there is also a refreshing longer hike in Ilulissat.
Heading further north into the Upernavik Archipelago, you may spot whales and seals. The most northern discovery of any Viking artifacts in the world are at Upernavik, while nearby Kullorsuaq is a small settlement that sustains itself on fishing, whaling and sealing.
Your northern most stops in Greenland are Dundas and Qaanaaq, where glaciers and archaeological sites are found. In Qaanaaq you'll visit the local museum, a great way to gain a deeper appreciation for what it takes to live this far north.
Exploring the Canadian High Arctic, you’ll have numerous hiking and birding opportunities, the first of which usually takes place at Dundas Harbour on Devon Island. Your beach hike here will be highlighted by visiting the remains of a Royal Canadian Mounted Police post. At Croker Bay, an actively calving glacier often litters the bay with numerous icebergs.
Another Important Bird Area, Prince Leopold Island is home to more than 500,000 seabirds, while the Canadian National Historic Site of Beechey Island is the site of a small grave site, with markers for men who died during Sir John Franklin’s tragic expedition in 1845-46.
You may spot polar bears at Radstock Bay, your final Arctic landing site before your journey home.
Day 12 Disembarkation Day in Resolute
1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner
Resolute is named after the HMS Resolute, one of the ships sent to search for Franklin’s ships, the HMS Erebus and HMS Terror. Say goodbye to the Sea Explorer and be transferred to the airport for your flight and final overnight in Toronto.
400 sq ft, private balcony, sitting area. Explorer Deck.
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double occupancy. Request the Twin Share Program where you are matched with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if a cabin mate is not found for you, no single supplement will be charged.
- Cabins are available for single occupancy at 1.7 times the double occupancy rate. The supplement for a suite is 2 times the shared rate.
- Emergency medical evacuation coverage for a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person is included. Contact us for details on arranging additional travel insurance.
Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy – and excitement – of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. The above is a tentative outline of what you’ll experience on this cruise – please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
This Expedition Includes:
- One complimentary night pre-expedition hotel accommodation in Copenhagen and one complimentary post-expedition hotel accommodation at Toronto airport with breakfast as indicated in the itinerary (the number of guests per room is the same as cabin occupancy on the ship. Due to limited availability, travelers who reserve a suite on board are accommodated in standard rooms at the hotel.)
- On embarkation day, group transfer from group hotel in Copenhagen to airport for charter flight to Kangerlussuaq, followed by group transfer to ship. Embarkation will take place by Zodiac.
- On disembarkation day, group transfer from the ship to airport for charter flight to Toronto, followed by transfer to group hotel at Toronto airport.
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping.
- All breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks on board throughout your voyage.
- All shore landings per the daily program.
- Leadership throughout the voyage by your experienced Expedition Leader, including shore landings and other activities.
- All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program.
- Formal and informal presentations by your Expedition Team and Special Guests as scheduled.
- Photographic Journal on DVD, documenting the voyage.
- A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings.
- An official parka to keep.
- Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock.
- A complimentary selection of alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.
- Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin.
- Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program.
- All luggage handling aboard ship.
- Emergency Evacuation Insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $100,000 per person.
This Expedition Excludes:
- The purchase of transfer package including charter or domestic flights in conjunction with this expedition is mandatory. The transfer package for this departure is US$1,750 per person.
- Passport and any applicable visa expenses.
- Government arrival and departure taxes.
- Any meals ashore with the exception of breakfast at the host hotel before embarkation, when applicable.
- Baggage, cancellation, interruption, and medical travel insurance.
- Excess baggage charges.
- Laundry and other personal charges.
- Telecommunications charges.
- The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew.
- Options that are not included in the cost of the voyage.
We are so glad that we chose Adventure Life. The service is top-notch. Everything is well taken care of and we just have to print the documents and go. Franny even gave us timely updates on possible airport strike.