Upon arrival in Campo Grande, meet up with your shuttle and transfer four hours to the Caiman Ecological Refuge. The Refuge is located on a 53,000 hectare ranch in Southern Panatal, the world's largest tropical wetland. This unique environment is known worldwide for its incredible biodiversity, housing the largest concentration of wildlife in the Americas. The Refuge provides habitat for 80 species of mammals, 400 species of fish, and over 650 species of birds, many of which are threatened with extinction. It is dedicated to environmental research and constitutes a home base for a number of conservation projects. Settle in and familiarize yourself with your accommodations and the lovely grounds before enjoying a typical Panatal ranch dinner prepared expertly at the Caiman Lodge.
Because the refuge's wildlife is generally more active in the early morning, a typical day at Caiman begins with an early breakfast and morning tour. After this, return to the lodge for lunch and leisure time, which takes you through the hottest part of the day. In the afternoon, embark on another excursion and enjoy beautiful dusk in the Panatal. Return in the evening to relax and dine once again at the renowned Caiman Lodge.
Regularly available, guided activities include:
- Walking tours: Traverse the lattice of trails surrounding the lodges, observing various species of small animals, birds, and native vegetation
- Caiman tour: Hike to Paizinho's Bridge and get up close and personal with the legendary spectacled caiman
- Photographic Safari: Access the further reaches of the ranch via adapted vehicles, taking in the changes in vegetation along the way and spotting a myriad of creatures
- Canoe trip: Float along the river in Canadian canoes, admiring the sunset and observing wildlife along the lively shoreline
- Nocturnal Spotlighting: Embark on an evening tour designed for spotting nocturnal animals
Additional activities that can be scheduled during your stay for an additional fee include:
- Bike tour: Explore the roads and trails of the Pantanal, gaining a new perspective on the area
- Birdwatching tour: Search through the refuge with a knowledgeable birder, looking for rare and elusive species seldom seen outside Caiman
Enjoy your last breakfast at the lodge before disembarking Caiman for Campo Grande and the next leg of your Brazilian adventure.
$1,160 - $1,545 single supplement
Please note that transfers are an additional cost that are paid in advance of the trip. Contact us for ground and air transfer options.
Departures during high season between June and September start Thursdays (three nights) and Sundays (four nights). Package can start any day of the week during low season.