On this Brazil tour, visit Caiman Ecological Refuge, a pioneering ecological destination and a treasure of the Southern Pantanal. During your stay, immerse yourself in the lush, tropical vegetation of this important region, and become acquainted with the array of wildlife that call the refuge 'home.' Caiman provides the utmost in comfort in the midst of a truly pristine and uniquely Brazilian landscape. This is a great Brazil trip for wildlife viewing in the Pantanal.
Day 1 : Arrive in the Pantanal Days 2-3 : Explore Caiman Ecological Refuge Day 4 : Depart Caiman
Rise early and search for rare and endangered wildlife
Trek along a myriad of trails observing the native vegetation
Hike to Paizinho's Bridge and get up close to the spectacled caiman
Upon arrival in Campo Grande, meet up with your shuttle and transfer four hours to the Caiman Ecological Refuge. The Refuge is located on a 53,000 hectare ranch in Southern Panatal, the world's largest tropical wetland. This unique environment is known worldwide for its incredible biodiversity, housing the largest concentration of wildlife in the Americas. The Refuge provides habitat for 80 species of mammals, 400 species of fish, and over 650 species of birds, many of which are threatened with extinction. It is dedicated to environmental research and constitutes a home base for a number of conservation projects. Settle in and familiarize yourself with your accommodations and the lovely grounds before enjoying a typical Panatal ranch dinner prepared expertly at the Caiman Lodge.
Because the refuge's wildlife is generally more active in the early morning, a typical day at Caiman begins with an early breakfast and morning tour. After this, return to the lodge for lunch and leisure time, which takes you through the hottest part of the day. In the afternoon, embark on another excursion and enjoy beautiful dusk in the Panatal. Return in the evening to relax and dine once again at the renowned Caiman Lodge.
Regularly available, guided activities include:
- Walking tours: Traverse the lattice of trails surrounding the lodges, observing various species of small animals, birds, and native vegetation
- Caiman tour: Hike to Paizinho's Bridge and get up close and personal with the legendary spectacled caiman
- Photographic Safari: Access the further reaches of the ranch via adapted vehicles, taking in the changes in vegetation along the way and spotting a myriad of creatures
- Canoe trip: Float along the river in Canadian canoes, admiring the sunset and observing wildlife along the lively shoreline
- Nocturnal Spotlighting: Embark on an evening tour designed for spotting nocturnal animals
Additional activities that can be scheduled during your stay for an additional fee include:
- Bike tour: Explore the roads and trails of the Pantanal, gaining a new perspective on the area
- Birdwatching tour: Search through the refuge with a knowledgeable birder, looking for rare and elusive species seldom seen outside Caiman
Day 4 Depart Caiman
Enjoy your last breakfast at the lodge before disembarking Caiman for Campo Grande and the next leg of your Brazilian adventure.
This was my first experience with Adventure Life - and I couldn't have been more pleased with the trip. The guides and local staff in both Buenos Aires and Uruguay were terrific - extremely helpful and accommodating. I really enjoyed meeting the friendly staff in Buenos Aires in person (I left my bags with them for the afternoon).
When to Go
Good to ideal period to travel, and many people choose to visit at this time.
Chance for unpredictable weather but with fewer visitors.