Welcome to Pelican Beach Resort, Dangriga, Belize - A Belizean owned, beachfront hotel on the edge of Dangriga, offering vacationers, business people, and groups of all ages and interests - warm, friendly hospitality and service with tours to the Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary, Bocawina waterfalls, Maya temples, the reefs and islands off South Water Caye and Garifuna cultural experiences.
Whether you are here to experience the diverse attractions of Southern Belize, or simply to relax, spacious, comfortable rooms, delicious Belizean meals, cool refreshing drinks and a friendly knowledgeable staff are at your disposal.
Opened in the early 70's, this resort is proud of their genuine Belizean hospitality with all the conveniences you need to enjoy your vacation. The Dangriga location is your Inland Gateway to the Sub-tropical rainforest of Belize; the Maya sites of Belize; the Belize Zoo; the inland Blue Hole Cenote; caving; horseback riding; canoeing along the rivers; experiencing the vibrant Garifuna culture and so much more.
A few of your choice adventures include:
* Hiking and birding in the Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary - the world's first jaguar reserve
* Standing under the invigorating cascade of waterfalls at Antelope Falls
* Climbing and exploring the mysteries of ancient Maya sites at Mayflower and Xunantunich; Pelican Beach Resort
* Snorkeling the crystalline waters of the South Water Marine Reserve - Belize's largest marine park
* Experiencing island life at our island getaway on South Water Caye
* Discovering the richness of local Garifuna history, culture, music and art OR,
* Lounging in a hammock on the dock!
* 12 air conditioned
* 4 upstairs ceiling fanned with sea view porch
Each room is equipped with:
* Two beds in a combination of queen, king, double or twin
* private bathroom with hot and cold water
* card operated telephones
Dining Room & Bar
The dining room boasts of having the only living coral reef aquarium in the country. Lounge by the seafront bar, or dine in. The restaurant offers a wide range of local dishes and American cuisine prepared daily. Special dietary requests are easily accommodated.
* Breakfast - complimentary coffee is served from 5:30 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. Between 7:00 a.m. and 9 a.m. we serve a breakfast buffet comprising of tropical fruit, cereal, Belizean breads with eggs and bacon, ham and sausages to order. Breakfast and dinner are served in our dining room.
* Lunch - served from the seaside bar or on the veranda in the path of the cool Caribbean breeze from 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. A wide variety of food including a renowned grilled fish burger, Belizean dishes, homemade soups, french fries, fruit, vegetable salads and juices are available all day. For guests on daily guided tours, a picnic lunch will be provided.
(Sample picnic menu includes: shrimp salad, cassava bread chips, tropical fruit slices, orange cookies, fresh juice and water).
* Dinner - a three course menu changes daily and is served from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. You have a choice of soup or salad, meat or seafood entries with dessert and coffee.
At the bar, choose from a selection of local beers, rum and tropical drinks such as the famous Belizean Mama and Mudslide.
Relaxing in Hammocks
The lobby is 100 feet from the beach. Enjoy a leisurely swim, collect sand dollars from the seafloor, or let the cool breeze sway you to sleep in a hammock on the dock.
In House Activities
If you prefer light activities, we have a variety of board games, a ping pong table, and a small exchange library for your use on the property.
Pelican's Gift Shop
Stop in at the gift shop, which offers a wide selection of Belizean and Central American jewelry, books, tropical apparel, as well as souvenir items for the whole family.
Same day laundry service is available.
Enjoy a morning stroll through the garden, cultivated with numerous tropical plant species, including over 10 varieties of hibiscus and other flowering plants which attract butterflies, birds, squirrels and iguanas.
Jungle, Maya and Reef Tours
Choose from any of the tours or get a taste of all three. Take a walk on the wild side with the jungle tour or go back in history and with the Maya tour at the ancient sites. If you are a sea lover, then experience a whole new world under water which you will never forget. Whichever you choose, it will be a tour to remember.
The coastal town of Dangriga, in the Stann Creek District and home to our Pelican Beach Resort - Dangriga base, is located on the eastern end of the recently paved and very picturesque Hummingbird Highway. Deriving its name from the local Garifuna language, and loosely defined as "sweet water is close at hand", Dangriga's population of roughly 11,000 is settled along the North Stann Creek OR Gumagarugu River.
The town is primarily supported by the nearby citrus and banana industries and is perfect for getting to know the unique Garifuna culture-descendants of African slaves who intermarried with the Carib Indians of South America and originally arrived in Belize in 1823.
The Stann Creek district is one of the few districts in Belize that actually has excellent samples of ALL Belize's natural attractions. These include the World renowned Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary (Jaguar Reserve); the caves and manatees of Gales Point; the Mayan ruins of Mayflower; and the exquisite coral islands of South Water, Carrie Bow and Tobacco Cayes. The latter, unlike most of Belize's islands, sit right atop the barrier reef and are located within Belize's largest marine park, the South Water Caye Marine Reserve. In addition you are within an easy day tour of the inland Blue Hole and St. Herman's Cave National Park, the Belize Zoo, and even the ancient Mayan sites of the Cayo district.