This voyage provides the opportunity to experience everything Spitsbergen has to offer, from polar bears and walrus to spectacular scenery. Aboard the luxurious Ocean Nova, you are treated to daily presentations by your onboard Expedition Team and daily wildlife sightings on land. Hike, explore and enjoy the beauty of the Arctic on your visit to Spitsbergen.
Day 1 : Longyearbyen, Norway | Embark Days 2-8 : Explore Spitsbergen Day 9 : Longyearbyen, Norway | Disembark
Encounter something new each day, from rare species to abandoned huts
Take advantage of continuous daylight for optimum arctic wildlife viewing
Hike the tundra, cruise in a Zodiac, and enjoy optional kayak opportunities
Visit a memorial erected in 1906 to honor 17th and 18th century whalers
Your Spitsbergen adventure begins when you board your ship in Longyearbyen, the island’s largest settlement. As you embark, enjoy great views of the mountainous landscape that serves as a backdrop for this seaside village.
Cruise around this magical island on a constant search for wildlife. Your expedition covers western Spitsbergen as well as some stunning fjords and outlying islands to the north. From polar flora to immense glaciers, the natural landscape here is just as varied as the wildlife.
Each expedition presents new opportunities, so there is no fixed itinerary, however there are some favorite destinations, including 14th of July Glacier, Smeerenburg, Alkefjellet, and the Hinlopen Strait. The destinations visited on your voyage are selected for optimum wildlife viewing and appreciation of the history and geology of Spitsbergen. Polar bear viewing is almost guaranteed, with Hornsund being one of their preferred hunting areas and the towering cliffs of Alkefjellet providing many free bird egg meals for both them and the arctic fox.
Poolepynton is great for walrus photography. Coming across a walrus haul-out is a moment you won’t forget. These lumbering giants of the Arctic create quite a noisy scene, as each walrus vies for a choice spot of coastline.
If you’re itching to get a little closer to the action, then taking a sea-kayaking excursion to some of the more isolated pockets of Spitsbergen is highly recommended. Smeerenburg is a great place for an optional snowshoeing excursion (if conditions permit), as you can visit a memorial erected in 1906. This historical site remembers the whalers who lost their lives in the 17th and 18th centuries while working in extreme Arctic conditions.
There is no shortage of natural beauty in Spitsbergen. The tundra can be surprisingly colorful in summer, with wildflowers bursting for a taste of sunshine. See something new each day, whether it is a rare bird species or an abandoned hut from centuries ago.
Day 9 Longyearbyen, Norway | Disembark
Following breakfast on board, disembark the Ocean Nova in Longyearbyen. Transfer to the airport to continue your travels.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published. Below per person rate based on previous season. Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Select a Date
Averaging 157 sq ft. Equipped with 4 twin beds (two lower berths, two upper berths). Located on the Upper Deck with private facilities and exterior views.
Select a Date
Averaging 140 sq ft. Equipped with 3 twin beds (two lower berths, one upper berth). Located on the Upper Deck with private facilities and exterior views.
Select a Date
Upper (Lower Berth) Deck Twin
Averaging 90 sq ft. Equipped with 2 twin beds (one upper berth and one lower berth). Located on the Upper Deck with private facilities and exterior views.
Select a Date
Upper Deck Twin Cabin
Averaging 115 sq ft. Equipped with 2 twin beds. Located on the Upper Deck with private facilities and exterior views.
Select a Date
Bridge Deck Twin Cabin
Averaging 105 sq ft. Equipped with 2 twin beds. Located on the Bridge Deck with private facilities and exterior views.
-Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double or triple occupancy. Request the Twin or Triple Share Program where we match you with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if we are unable to find a cabin mate for you, no single supplement will be charged.
- For bookings as of December 7, 2016 – April 30, 2017 for departures Jun 2018 to September 2018, a second 20% deposit is required at 180 days prior to departure date, full payment at 130 days.
Important reminder: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy – and excitement – of expedition travel. When travelling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. The above is a tentative outline of what you’ll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
Included in your cruise fare:
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
- All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on board
- All shore landings per the daily program
- Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader
- All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program
- Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled
- Photographic journal documenting the expedition
- Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings
- Official parka to keep
- Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
- Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin
- Comprehensive predeparture materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- All luggage handling aboard the ship
- Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person
- Arrival transfer from Longyearbyen airport to your hotel if you arrive one day prior to embarkation
- Transfer from your hotel or Longyearbyen airport to the ship on embarkation day
- Group transfer from the ship to Longyearbyen airport or a designated drop-off location downtown on disembarkation day
Rates do not include:
- International airfare
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
- Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
- Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance—strongly recommended
- Excess-baggage fees on international flights
- Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
- Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
- Phone and Internet charges
- Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
- Additional overnight accommodation
- Optional kayaking activities
Beyond expectations! Then again we weren't sure what to expect. Lovely stay at the lodge, met other like-minded travelers (many had their trips planned by Adventure Life) and the owner was a gracious hostess. It felt like you were one happy family, visiting with a favorite aunt.