The October Spitsbergen voyages, at the onset of winter, are ideal for observing the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights). Explore the season's display aboard this expedition Arctic cruise on the sailing vessel, the Noorderlicht.
Day 1 : Arrive Longyearbyen Day 2 : Trygghamna Day 3 : Barentsburg Day 4 : Isfjord Day 5 : Kap Thordsen Day 6 : Return Home
After arriving in Longyearbyen, the ‘capital’ (actually the administrative center) of Spitsbergen, you may wish to visit the Svalbard Museum which has an interesting collection on the history of Spitsbergen, the mining industry and polar exploration. Stay the night in Longyearbyen.
Day 2 Trygghamna
In the early morning sail, setting course for Alkhornet, a high cliff. Below the cliffs see Arctic Foxes and Reindeer. Continue to Trygghamna to visit the remains of a 17th century English whaling station and an 18th century Russian Pomor station.
Day 3 Barentsburg
Leave Tryghamna early in the early morning and pay a visit to Barentsburg, the only inhabited Russian settlement in Spitsbergen. It is interesting to experience how the miners live through the polar winter. There is for instance a swimming pool filled with heated sea water.
Day 4 Isfjord
Sail into the inner reaches of the Isfjord system to Ekmanfjord along some beautiful glacier fronts, where during nights with open sky experience temperatures of minus 10 degrees Celcius. The first new ice will be forming on the heads of the fjords.
Day 5 Kap Thordsen
At Kap Thordsen, visit the well-preserved Swedish House, built in 1872 by Nordenskiöld, where in 1872-73, 17 winterers died of lead poisoning. Same evening arrive in Longyearbyen.
Day 6 Return Home
Departure by scheduled flight from Longyearbyen to Oslo.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published.
Below per person rate based on previous season.
Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Select a Date
Twin Non Private
The ‘Noorderlicht’ provides accommodation for 20 travellers in comfortable twin cabins.
All cabins have upper and lower berths, a cupboard and wash basin with hot and cold water. Shared shower (4) and toilet (5) facilities are conveniently located.
This Add-on is available only for our travelers extending or customizing their itinerary.
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double occupancy.
- Cabins are available for single occupancy at 1.7 times the double occupancy rate.
- Due to the extreme nature of itinerary destinations, travel insurance is mandatory for all cruises aboard the Noorderlicht - including medical, accident and repatriation/evacuation insurance.
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary.
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea.
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac.
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff.
- On Spitsbergen voyages: Transfers and baggage handling between the airport, hotels and ship only for those passengers on the group flights to and from Longyearbyen.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme.
- AECO fees and governmental taxes.
- Comprehensive pre-departure materials
Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights; pre- and post land arrangements; transfers to / from the vessel outside Spitsbergen; passport and visa expenses; Government arrival and departure taxes; meals ashore; baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory); excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges; and the customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).
Please note: It is agreed that if fuel prices will exceed US Dollar $120 90 days prior to departure, Noorderlicht reserves the right to levy a fuel surcharge of US Dollar 25 per passenger per night.
Kate was great to work with in the planning stage. She was prompt, helpful, and efficient. Our tour guide, Edwin, was knowledgeable and passionate. We were very happy to have traveled with Adventure Life, it made the trip easy and a true pleasure. We could concentrate on enjoying the experience rather than the details of travel.