If polar bears top your list of must-see Arctic wildlife, choose this small ship expedition to Spitsbergen. This remarkable island hosts an astonishing array of Arctic wildlife, protected within six national parks. The island itself is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Cruise the Arctic aboard the Sea Spirit on this exciting polar bear safari Arctic tour.
Day 1 : Embark in Longyearbyen Days 2-8 : Exploring Spitsbergen Day 9 : Disembarkation in Longyearbyen
Before embarking on your Arctic wildlife voyage, be sure to spend some time exploring Longyearbyen, which has a frontier-town atmosphere.
Day 2-8 Exploring Spitsbergen
This itinerary focuses on a constant search for wildlife. Your expedition will be highlighted by encounters with colonies of rare seabirds, hauled-out walrus and hunting Polar Bears. You’ll explore a large part of western Spitsbergen, which is also home to huge glaciers and impressive fjords.
Weather and ice conditions are highly changeable and thus dictate the daily itinerary of each small ship polar expedition. There are some favorite destinations that you may visit, including 14th of July Glacier, Smeerenburg and Alkhornet. The destinations visited on your voyage will be selected for optimum wildlife viewing and appreciation of the history and geology of Spitsbergen. Polar Bear viewing is almost guaranteed.
Coming across a Walrus haul-out is a moment you won’t forget either, these boisterous beasts can eat as much as 110 pounds (50 kilos) of shellfish every day. The Svalbard Reindeer, unique to these islands, is another animal you’ll likely encounter. They are often seen grazing near the rugged Alkhornet coastline.
If you’re itching to get a little closer to the action, then hiking amongst the colorful wildflowers found at the 14th of July Glacier is sure to be a highlight. Or, perhaps, the surreal feeling of standing in the presence of the giant Monaco Glacier will help put the scale of the Arctic into perspective.
At Smeerenburg, you can visit a historical site built more than 100 years ago to commemorate the whalers who lost their lives in the 17th and 18th centuries while working in extreme Arctic conditions. There is no shortage of natural beauty in Spitsbergen. Each day you’ll see something new!
Day 9 Disembarkation in Longyearbyen
Your adventure ends as it began, in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here you'll transfer to the airport for your flight home.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published.
Below per person rate based on previous season.
Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Oceanus Deck, 250 sq ft. Window, 2 twins or king bed, pull out sofa bed. Private bath facilities.
Main deck, 215 sq ft. 2 portholes, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities.
Oceanus deck, 250 sq ft. Window, 2 twin beds or king bed, private bath facilities.
Club deck, 235 sq ft. Picture window, walk in closet, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities.
Sports deck, 277 sq ft. Sliding glass door and private balcony. Walk-in closet, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities.
Sun Deck, 353 sq ft. Sliding glass door and private balcony, picture window, sitting area, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities
Sun deck, spacious living room and meeting area, HD TV, sound system, sliding glass door to private sun deck. King bed in separate sleeping area, large bathroom with jetted tub.
This Add-on is available only for our travelers extending or customizing their itinerary.
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double occupancy. Request the Twin Share Program where you are matched with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if a cabin mate is not found for you, no single supplement will be charged.
-Cabins are available for single occupancy at 1.7 times the double occupancy rate. The supplement for a suite is 2 times the shared rate.
-Emergency medical evacuation coverage for a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person is included. Contact us for details on arranging additional travel insurance.
Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy – and excitement – of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. The above is a tentative outline of what you’ll experience on this cruise – please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
· Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping.
· All breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks on board throughout your voyage.
· All shore landings per the daily program.
· Leadership throughout the voyage by an experienced Expedition Leader, including shore landings and other activities.
· All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program.
· Formal and informal presentations by the Expedition Team and Special Guests as scheduled.
· Photographic Journal on DVD, documenting the voyage.
· A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings.
· An official parka to keep.
· Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock.
· A complimentary selection of alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.
· Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin.
· Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader.
· All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program.
· All luggage handling aboard ship.
· On disembarkation day, group transfer from the ship to the airport as specified.
· Emergency Evacuation Insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $100,000 per person
· Arrival transfer from Longyearbyen airport to your hotel if you arrive one day prior to embarkation.
· On embarkation day transfer from your hotel or Longyearbyen airport to the ship.
· On disembarkation day, a group transfer from the ship to your hotel or to the Longyearbyen airport.
I could not be happier with my Adventure Life experience, from beginning to end. I travel a lot, and I think your company and personnel do an outstanding job. I truly appreciate your professionalism, attentiveness, and flexibility. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend your company and would be happy to serve as a reference.