This Spitsbergen Explorer Arctic cruise is perfect if you prefer short sea voyages with frequent shore landings and Zodiac cruises. On this exciting polar tour you'll find enough polar bears, reindeer, walrus and whales to keep your camera constantly clicking. A bounty of seabirds, including Arctic terns, skua, barnacle geese and snow buntings are found here as well. Aboard the Sea Spirit, cruise the remarkable island of Spitsbergen, a UNESCO World Heritage Site on this unforgettable Arctic expedition cruise.
Day 1 : Embark in Longyearbyen Days 2-10 : Exploring Spitsbergen Day 11 : Disembarkation in Longyearbyen
Your Spitsbergen adventure begins when you board your ship in Longyearbyen, the island's largest settlement. As you embark, you’ll get great views of the mountainous landscape that serves as a backdrop to this seaside settlement.
Day 2-10 Exploring Spitsbergen
Sail around this magical island on your arctic small ship, in a constant search for wildlife. Your polar expedition will cover western Spitsbergen as well as some stunning fjords and outlying islands to the north. From polar deserts to immense glaciers, the natural landscape here is just as varied as the wildlife.
Each arctic expedition presents new opportunities, so you will not have a fixed itinerary, however there are some favorite destinations, including 14th of July Glacier, Smeerenburg, Phippsoya, Alkhornet and the Hinlopen Straight.
The destinations visited on your Arctic voyage will be selected for optimum wildlife viewing and appreciation of the history and geology of Spitsbergen. Polar Bear viewing is almost guaranteed, with Phippsoya being one of their preferred hunting areas and the towering cliffs of Alkefjellet providing many free bird egg meals for both them and the Arctic Fox.
Torellneset and Phippsoya are great places for Walrus photography. Coming across a Walrus haul-out is a moment you won’t forget either. These lumbering giants of the Arctic create quite a noisy scene, as each Walrus vies for a choice spot of coastline.
If you’re itching to get a little closer to the action, then taking a sea-kayaking excursion to some of the more isolated pockets of Spitsbergen is highly recommended. Smeerenburg is a great place for an optional snowshoeing excursion (on selected voyages), as you can visit a memorial erected in 1906. This historical site remembers the whalers who lost their lives in the 17th and 18th centuries while working in extreme Arctic conditions.
There is no shortage of natural beauty in Spitsbergen. The tundra can be surprisingly colorful in summer, with wildflowers bursting for a taste of sunshine. Each day you’ll see something new, whether it is a rare bird species or an abandoned hut from centuries ago.
Day 11 Disembarkation in Longyearbyen
The time to say goodbye has come. Your adventure ends as it began, in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here you'll transfer to the airport for your flight home.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published.
Below per person rate based on previous season.
Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Oceanus Deck, 250 sq ft. Window, 2 twins or king bed, pull out sofa bed. Private bath facilities.
Main deck, 215 sq ft. 2 portholes, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities.
Oceanus deck, 250 sq ft. Window, 2 twin beds or king bed, private bath facilities.
Club deck, 235 sq ft. Picture window, walk in closet, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities.
Sports deck, 277 sq ft. Sliding glass door and private balcony. Walk-in closet, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities.
Sun Deck, 353 sq ft. Sliding glass door and private balcony, picture window, sitting area, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities
Sun deck, spacious living room and meeting area, HD TV, sound system, sliding glass door to private sun deck. King bed in separate sleeping area, large bathroom with jetted tub.
This Add-on is available only for our travelers extending or customizing their itinerary.
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double occupancy. Request the Twin Share Program where you are matched with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if a cabin mate is not found for you, no single supplement will be charged.
-Cabins are available for single occupancy at 1.7 times the double occupancy rate. The supplement for a suite is 2 times the shared rate.
-Emergency medical evacuation coverage for a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person is included. Contact us for details on arranging additional travel insurance.
Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy – and excitement – of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. The above is a tentative outline of what you’ll experience on this cruise – please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
· Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping.
· All breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks on board throughout your voyage.
· All shore landings per the daily program.
· Leadership throughout the voyage by an experienced Expedition Leader, including shore landings and other activities.
· All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program.
· Formal and informal presentations by the Expedition Team and Special Guests as scheduled.
· Photographic Journal on DVD, documenting the voyage.
· A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings.
· An official parka to keep.
· Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock.
· A complimentary selection of alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.
· Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin.
· Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader.
· All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program.
· All luggage handling aboard ship.
· On disembarkation day, group transfer from the ship to the airport as specified.
· Emergency Evacuation Insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $100,000 per person
· Arrival transfer from Longyearbyen airport to your hotel if you arrive one day prior to embarkation.
· On embarkation day transfer from your hotel or Longyearbyen airport to the ship.
· On disembarkation day, a group transfer from the ship to your hotel or to the Longyearbyen airport.
This was our first trip to South America and we were a little nervous. But Adventure Life made things so easy! All our questions were answered before we left, and our guide, Vidal, was amazing! He gave us enough space to explore without rushing us along. He also knew where the best picture taking opportunities were, which was great.