Sail along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, the submarine mountain range running some 16,000 kilometers (10,000 miles) from the Arctic Ocean. Explore Ascension, this dry volcanic island is a major home for the sooty tern. Hike to the richly vegetated top of Ascension, and a visit the shore to watch the green turtles laying eggs on the beach. Joining you across the Equator are Arctic terns and long-tailed skuas in their northbound spring migration. Visit the historic Cidade Velha in Praia and its massive hillside fortress, built to defend against English raiders.
Day 1 : St Helena | Embark Day 2 : St Helena Days 3-4 : Ascension Days 5-9 : Across the Equator Day 10 : Praia, Cape Verde islands | Disembark
Enjoy sailing along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, the submarine mountain range 16,000 kilometres from the Arctic Ocean
Explore Ascension, this dry volcanic island is a major home for the sooty tern
Hike to the top of Ascension, and visit the shore to watch the green turtles laying eggs on the beach.
Stroll the Praia streets and enjoy the variety of indigenous folk music
This dry volcanic island is a major home for the sooty tern (also known as the wideawake), whose colony here sometimes grows to over a million breeding pairs. You may get the chance for a hike to the richly vegetated top of this island, and a visit the shore to watch the green turtles laying eggs on the beach.
Joining you across the Equator are Arctic terns and long-tailed skuas in their northbound spring migration.
Day 10 Praia, Cape Verde islands | Disembark
Disembark in Praia on Santiago Island - the capital of the Cape Verde Islands, at 9:00 hours*. If you’re flying out on the night of May 2/May 3, there is an additional tour in and around Praia. Here you can visit the historic Cidade Velha and its massive hillside fortress, built to defend against English raiders. Other sights include the oldest Christian church in the tropics and the slave whipping post in the main square. Stroll the Praia streets and enjoy the variety of indigenous folk music spilling out of the tavern windows.
*Disembarking passengers will have access to a few hotel rooms where you can collect your luggage and freshen up before traveling to the airport – or back to your hotel if you’re staying longer in Praia.
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double or triple occupancy. Request the Twin or Triple Share Program where you are matched with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if a cabin mate is not found for you, no single supplement will be charged.
- Single occupancy: All cabins 1.7 times the share twin price
-Children between the ages of 3-15 will be discounted 40% in triple or quad cabins, one child per cabin.
- Due to the extreme nature of itinerary destinations, travel insurance is mandatory for all cruises aboard the Plancius - including medical, accident and repatriation/evacuation insurance.
All itineraries are for guidance only. Programs may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions, the availability of landing sites and opportunities to see wildlife. The final itinerary is determined by the Expedition Leader on board. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises.
- Voyage aboard the designated vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- Luggage transfer from pick-up point to the vessel on the day of embarkation, in Ushuaia
- Pre-scheduled group transfer from the vessel to the airport in Ushuaia (directly after disembarkation)
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
- Any airfare whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post land arrangements
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided)
Please Note: It is agreed that if world fuel prices will reach or exceed US $120 per Barrel Brent 90 days prior to departure, the MV Plancius reserves the right to levy a fuel surcharge of US $25 per passenger per night.
We are so glad that we chose Adventure Life. The service is top-notch. Everything is well taken care of and we just have to print the documents and go. Franny even gave us timely updates on possible airport strike.