Begin your 11-day Antarctic adventure in Ushuaia, Argentina where you board the MV Plancius. Cross the infamous Drake Passage and head towards the Antarctic Peninsula. Search for wildlife such as albatross, penguins, whales, and seals while sailing through the Antarctic waters and amongst icebergs. Keep an open mind while exploring Antarctica, as your itinerary may change due to weather and ice. Each day is determined by your Expedition Leader.
Day 1 : Ushuaia, Argentina | Embark Days 2-3 : Drake Passage Days 4-8 : Antarctic Peninsula Days 9-10 : Drake Passage Day 11 : Ushuaia, Argentina | Disembark
Sail across the infamous Drake Passage to reach the Antarctic Peninsula
Zodiac cruise between icebergs and fjords
Observe wildlife such as penguins, albatross, whales, and seals
Enjoy trips ashore each day to explore the Antarctic landscape
In the afternoon, embark in Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina, the southernmost city in the world located in the shadow of the Andes and right at the Beagle Channel shore. Sail through this scenic waterway during the afternoon.
During these two days sail across the Drake Passage. When crosing the Antarctic Convergence, arrive in the circum-Antarctic up welling zone. In this area you may see wandering albatrosses, grey-headed albatrosses, black-browed albatrosses, light-mantled sooty albatrosses, Cape pigeons, southern fulmars, Wilson’s storm petrels, blue petrels, and Antarctic petrels. Near the South Shetland Islands, catch a glimpse of the first icebergs.
A typical itinerary in the South Shetlands and Antarctic Peninsula could be as follows. This is a sample only, the final itinerary is determined by the Expedition Leader on board. Sail directly to “High Antarctica”, passing the Melchior Islands and the Schollaert Channel between Brabant and Anvers Island. On Cuverville Island, a small precipitous island, nestled between the mountains of the Antarctic Peninsula and Danco Island, find a large colony of gentoo penguins and breeding pairs of brown skuas. On Danco Island observe chinstrap penguins and possibly Weddell and crabeater seals. In Neko Harbor have the opportunity to set foot on the Antarctic Continent in a magnificent landscape of huge glaciers. Enjoy the landscape surrounded by alpine peaks during zodiac cruises.
When sailing to Paradise Bay, with its myriad icebergs and deep cut fjords, have the opportunity to set foot on the Antarctic continent again and to zodiac cruise between the icebergs in the inner parts of the fjords. In this area you have good chances to see humpback whales and minke whales.
Sail through the spectacular Lemaire Channel to Pleneau and Petermann Island where you can find Adelie penguins and blue-eyed shags. In this area there are good chances to encounter humpback and minke whales. A visit to one of the scientific stations in Antarctica provides insight about the life of modern Antarcticans working on the White Continent. Further south you may visit the Ukrainian Vernadsky Station, where you receive a warm welcome from the station crew. After sailing through the Neumayer Channel, visit the British research station and post office at Port Lockroy on Goudier Island. Close to Port Lockroy enjoy a landing on Jougla Point with gentoo penguins and imperial shags.
Sail through the spectacular Lemaire Channel to Pléneau and Petermann Island where you can find Adélie penguins and blue-eyed shags. In this area, there are good chances to encounter humpback whales, minke whales and fin whales. Sailing north through Gerlache Strait arrive at Wilhelmina Bay where you can see feeding Humpback whales. You may embark on a Zodiac cruise if the conditions allow ending at the wreck of Guvernøren an old whaling vessel that burned here in 1915. Around Melchior Islands amidst a beautiful landscape with icebergs, where you may encounter more whales but also leopard seal and crabeater seals. This area offers excellent opportunities for kayaking and camping in the pristine Antarctic environment.
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double or triple occupancy. Request the Twin or Triple Share Program where you are matched with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if a cabin mate is not found for you, no single supplement will be charged.
- Single occupancy: All cabins 1.7 times the share twin price
-Children between the ages of 3-15 will be discounted 40% in triple or quad cabins, one child per cabin.
- Due to the extreme nature of itinerary destinations, travel insurance is mandatory for all cruises aboard the Plancius - including medical, accident and repatriation/evacuation insurance.
All itineraries are for guidance only. Programs may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions, the availability of landing sites and opportunities to see wildlife. The final itinerary is determined by the Expedition Leader on board. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises.
- Voyage aboard the designated vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- Luggage transfer from pick-up point to the vessel on the day of embarkation, in Ushuaia
- Pre-scheduled group transfer from the vessel to the airport in Ushuaia (directly after disembarkation)
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
- Any airfare whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post land arrangements
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided)
Please Note: It is agreed that if world fuel prices will reach or exceed US $120 per Barrel Brent 90 days prior to departure, the MV Plancius reserves the right to levy a fuel surcharge of US $25 per passenger per night.
I could not be happier with my Adventure Life experience, from beginning to end. I travel a lot, and I think your company and personnel do an outstanding job. I truly appreciate your professionalism, attentiveness, and flexibility. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend your company and would be happy to serve as a reference.