Contoured by vineyard-clad hills and castles from yesteryear, the legendary Rhine captivates. Experience the allure of France’s Alsace region in its welcoming capital, Strasbourg, and its priceless gem, Riquewihr. Fabled towns lost in time present you with the chance to taste local flavors — Rüdesheimer coffee and Kölsch beer—and to touch history up close with guided hikes and bike rides. From Amsterdam’s colorful canals to the majestic Swiss Alps, journey into the heart of the destinations you visit.
Cruise through Rhine Gorge, the most stunningly beautiful stretch of the river
Hike through Rüdesheim’s beautiful vineyards
Discover the iconic red sandstone Heidelberg Castle
Wander past the Cathédrale de Nôtre Dame with its famous astronomical clock
The famous canals of Amsterdam await discovery on your scenic canal cruise. Tall narrow homes along the water, the beautiful wooden Skinny Bridge and the Anne Frank House are a few of the highlights you will see. Later in the day, set sail out of Amsterdam.
Enjoy cruising to Cologne, home to one of Germany’s most revered Gothic masterpieces, the Cologne Cathedral. Join a guided tour through the Old Town and explore the UNESCO-designated cathedral. Continue to the Cologne Rathaus, Germany’s oldest town hall, the Overstolzenhaus and the Festival Hall. For a different view of the city, visit a local tavern to taste its famous Kölsch beer, only made in Cologne, and Reibekuchen, potato pancakes typically served with apple sauce. Active adventurists will want to join a guided bike ride along the Rhine and through the historic Stadtgarten.
Cruise through the captivating UNESCO-designated Rhine Gorge, the most stunningly beautiful stretch of the river before reaching the winemaking town of Rüdesheim. Drink up the stunning views by soaring high above the vineyards with a gondola ride to the Niederwalddenkmal Statue and afterwards be treated to a wine tasting. For a more active adventure, hike through the town’s beautiful vineyards or join a guided bike tour along the scenic Rhine River to Schloss Johannisberg. Later in the day, let Siegfried’s Mechanical Music Museum charm you with its remarkable collection of self-playing musical instruments; or taste one of the town’s special delights, Rüdesheimer Coffee, ceremoniously made with brandy, coffee and whipped cream.
Ludwigshafen is your gateway to a choice of three excursions. Visit Heidelberg, the perfectly preserved medieval city nestled in the Neckar River Valley along Germany’s Castle Road. Discover the iconic red sandstone Heidelberg Castle and Great Vat, an 18th-century 49,000-gallon wine cask. For a more active adventure while in Heidelberg, join a guided hike up the Philosopher's Path, aptly named during the Romantic Period, and be rewarded with panoramic views of the city. Alternatively, you can visit one of Germany’s oldest cities, Speyer, known for the largest Romanesque cathedral in Europe—a UNESCO World Heritage Site—and the medieval Altpörtel, Old Gate.
Strasbourg, the capital city of Alsace, offers flavors of both France and Germany because of its borderline location. Enjoy a panoramic tour past the stunning Parc de l’Orangerie, the European Parliament and the Place de la République before walking through its iconic “La Petite France” district, which appears to have been lifted straight from the pages of a fairytale. Wander through these charming streets and past the Cathédrale de Nôtre Dame with its famous astronomical clock. Alternatively, the active adventurer can take a guided bike ride through the city and Parc de l’Orangerie.
Breisach is your gateway to several different excursions, depending on your interests. Step back in time with a visit to the enchanting Alsatian town of Riquewihr, which looks almost the same as it did in the 16th century. On your walking tour, admire historic architecture as well as famous sights, such as the Dolder Gate. While there, enjoy a visit to a winery for a tasting of locally produced Alsatian wines. Alternatively, you may wish to go to Freiburg, founded in 1120 and home to the Freiburg’s Münster, a Gothic cathedral said to have “the most beautiful spire on earth.” You’ll visit a winery where you will have the opportunity to taste their locally produced wines, and then continue with a walking tour. Those wishing a more active excursion can cycle through the scenic countryside; or go to the Black Forest, a magical land full of cultural traditions, as well as home to elaborate cuckoo clocks, striking half-timber houses, ruined castles and quaint towns.
Day 10: Basel, Switzerland | Disembark | Lucerne
Disembark the ship and before transferring to Lucerne, go on a highlights tour of Basel. One of Switzerland’s most cosmopolitan cities, Basel is home to 40 museums (the highest concentration in the nation), a picturesque Old Town and richly decorated Market Square, a 500-year-old Rathaus (town hall) and Switzerland’s oldest zoo (built in 1870 and home to 600 animal species and exotic flora). Once in Lucerne, you’ll discover the unrivalled beauty and charm of this pristine city on a walking tour. Stroll along Chapel Bridge, admiring the stunning gable paintings above. The mighty mountains of Mount Pilatus and Rigi overlook the swans that glide along the scenic lake and are part of Lucerne’s everlasting allure. Afterwards, check into your hotel and enjoy a leisurely evening.
Day 11: Lucerne
The iconic Lion Monument, which you’ll visit, was sculpted in memory for the Swiss Guards massacred during the French Revolution in 1792. It has captured the hearts and minds of visitors for centuries, including Mark Twain who praised it as “the most mournful and moving piece of stone in the world.” You’ll also visit the spectacular medieval walls and towers, dating back to the 13th century. Located around the Musegg Wall area, the towers rise high over the city, giving great panoramic views of Lucerne, the Reuss River and the surrounding mountain scenery. There are a total of nine towers, including one featuring the oldest clock in the city.
Day 12: Lucerne | Zurich
Check out of your hotel and board a boat for a scenic cruise across the tranquil waters of Lake Lucerne, surrounded by spectacular mountain scenery, to Vitznau. Once in Vitznau, you’ll transfer via motorcoach to Zurich, traveling past scenic landscapes and Alpine lakes. Once in Zurich, you’ll check into your hotel.
Day 13: Zurich
Set alongside a glistening lake and framed by the Alps, Switzerland’s largest city, Zurich, seamlessly blends its historic past with its progressive future—all of which will be on full display during your city tour. One of the top experiences in Zurich is a visit to Old Town where you will find yourself amongst medieval houses, churches and the modern Bahnhofstrasse, a mile-long street featuring exclusive fashion boutiques, stores and street cafés.
Day 14: Depart Zurich
After breakfast, bid farewell to Switzerland and prepare for your return flight home.
255 sq. feet. 1 cabins on Violin Deck. French balcony, sitting area, bathtub and shower, Infotainment system, safe, hair dryer, bathrobes, A/C, ample closet space. #301,302,304.
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom (most with twin balconies)
- Computer for internet access
- Entertainment-On-Demand in all staterooms featuring free high-speed internet access, movies, a music library and English language TV stations
- Mini-fridge, desk and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
- Wellness Program with a dedicated Wellness Host leading various exercise classes as well as discussions on healthy eating and relaxation techniques, both on board and on shore.
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Sun deck pool with swim-up bar and walking track
- Fitness room, massage services and hair salon
- Main Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant
- Welcome Cocktail, Welcome Dinner, La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs Dinner, Captain's Cocktail and Gala Dinner
- La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs exclusive dining experience
- Unlimited fine wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sip & Sail Daily Cocktail Hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Tapas, sandwiches, snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Gentle, regular, active and late-riser tour options
- Bike tours and hikes
- Special Interest Tours
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from the expedition company
- Land Program
- 2 nights hotel in Amsterdam at the Amstel Inter-Continental Hotel (or similar), including walkingtour, Zaanse Schans visit and daily breakfast
- Transfer from the ship in Basel to Lucerne withBasel city tour en route
- 2 nights hotel in Lucerne at the Hotel SchweizerhofLucerne (or similar), including walking tour, LionMonument and daily breakfast
- Transfer from the hotel in Lucerne to Zurich withscenic Lake Lucerne cruise
- 2 nights hotel in Zurich at the Hotel Marriott Zurich(or similar), including city tour and daily breakfast
We are so glad that we chose Adventure Life. The service is top-notch. Everything is well taken care of and we just have to print the documents and go. Franny even gave us timely updates on possible airport strike.