Embark on this 11-day voyage to celebrate New Year’s Eve in Antarctica! Ring in the new year with penguins, elephant seals, and first-landing buzz. With summer in full swing, penguin highways are busy with traffic between rookeries and beach as parents hurry to fatten up chicks. Glaciers shed ice with an echoing roar and waterways are alive with feeding and breaching whales. Zodiacs whisk you on whalewatching cruises and amongst glorious icebergs. The near-midnight sun powers an explosion of life. What an unforgettable way to start the year!
Day 1 : Punta Arenas, Chile Day 2 : Fly to King George Island / Embark Days 3-8 : Antarctic Peninsula Days 9-10 : Crossing the Drake Passage Day 11 : Disembark in Ushuaia, Argentina
New Year's Eve party in Antarctica!
Fly directly to Antarctica, cross the Drake Passage once
Explore penguin rookeries, historic sites and scientific stations
First fly from Punta Arenas, Chile to King George Island, Antarctica to be warmly welcomed aboard the Polar Pioneer. Settle in for safety and environmental briefings to prepare for your landings as the ship sets off across Bransfield Strait.
Wake in the stunning Antarctic Peninsula, an ethereal wonderland of vast proportions. Aboard robust Zodiacs, explore penguin rookeries, historic sites, and scientific stations. Zodiac cruising brings you close to intricately-shaped icebergs and seals basking on ice floes whilst kayakers glide into secluded bays.
Stepping ashore on the continent itself creates an everlasting memory, especially if it involves a bum-slide down snow slopes. Immerse yourself in nature, spontaneity, and having fun, making sure to pause and celebrate as you bring in the New Year with your fellow travelers.
Make the most of every day and a fair bit of each night as well. If the weather allows, join a sleep-out on the ice – a must for any Antarctic explorer!
As the Captain steers the ship north across Drake Passage, your mind and soul revels in rich Antarctic experiences. There’s time to watch for seabirds, enjoy entertaining talks, discuss what you’ve seen and learned, and exchange photos and stories.
Day 11 Disembark in Ushuaia, Argentina
Enjoy a gentle cruise along the Beagle Channel in the early morning. Disembark after breakfast for onward travel or to savor more time in Ushuaia.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published.
Below per person rate based on previous season.
Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Triple Cabins have two lower and one upper berth, a desk, a small washbasin, storage and hanging space and portholes. Showers and toilets are very close by and are shared with other Main Deck cabins.
Twin Shared Cabins have two lower bunks, a desk, small washbasin, ample storage and hanging space and portholes. Showers and toilets are very close by and are shared with other Main Deck cabins.
Twin Private Cabins have two lower bunks, a desk, windows, and a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin. Two cabins have upper and lower bunks (cabins 402 and 403).
Mini Suites have a separate small bedroom with double bed, a sofa bed in the main room, a desk, video player and TV, windows and a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin.
The Suite features a large lounge area, a separate small bedroom with double bed, a sofabed in the main room, a video player and TV, refrigerator, large forward and side facing windows, and a private bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin.
Antarctica Savings - Book by August 31 and save 10%. Applies to Dec 25, 2016 departure
Please note that all of Polar Pioneer itineraries are at the mercy of weather conditions and not all landings are guaranteed. These itineraries are flexible and will change voyage to voyage, allowing the best chance to make the most of surprising wildlife displays and unexpected opportunities.
- Rates represent costs per person, double or triple occupancy. Request the Twin or Triple Share Program where you are matched with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if a cabin mate is not found for you, no single supplement will be charged.
- Single costs are 1.7 times the twin rate
• One night accommodation in Punta Arenas pre voyage
• Transfer from hotel to Punta Arenas airport
• Flight from Punta Arenas to King George Island
• Luggage transfer from King George Island airstrip to Polar Pioneer
• Accommodation during the voyage
• All meals, snacks, tea and coffee during the voyage
• All shore excursions and Zodiac (inflatable boat) cruises
• Educational lectures and guiding services from your expert team
• Access to your on board doctor and basic medical services
• Loan of gumboots during the voyage
• Daily cabin service
• Comprehensive pre-departure information
• Aurora Expeditions waterproof jacket
• Professionally produced voyage journal (one per booking)
• Port taxes and charges
• All entry fees to historic landings sites
• International or domestic flights to or from ship, unless specified
• Transfers not mentioned in the itinerary
• Airport arrival or departure taxes
• Visa, passport, and vaccination charges
• Travel insurance or emergency evacuation charges
• Hotels and meals not included in itinerary
• Optional excursions not included in the itinerary
• Optional activity surcharge. Please contact us if you wish to book any optional activities, such as sea kayaking
• All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages and soft drinks, laundry services, personal clothing, medical expenses, gratuities, and email or phone charges.
Kate was great to work with in the planning stage. She was prompt, helpful, and efficient. Our tour guide, Edwin, was knowledgeable and passionate. We were very happy to have traveled with Adventure Life, it made the trip easy and a true pleasure. We could concentrate on enjoying the experience rather than the details of travel.