Lake District Sea Kayaking
- Lake District
- Puerto Varas
- Reloncavi Fjord
- Rio Petrohue
- Rio Cochamo
Sea kayak in the remote waterways of northern Patagonia in the Chilean Lake District. Great option for active travelers interested in paddling, wildlife viewing, and a one night homestay with a local family.
- Additional Tour Options
- $1675 - Add a half-day of rafting before your tour!
- ActiveOur most active trips for travelers who are fit and looking for vigorous adventures. Tours include multisport activities and multi-day treks.
- CampingDeluxe camping or accommodations in mountain lodges.
- Community StayHomestay with local families or overnight in community-supported campground or lodge for unique cultural immersion.
- Cultural ActivitiesIncludes cultural activities such as a visit to a traditional village or a local market to give a unique perspective.
- Nature ViewingIncludes intentional opportunity to observe flora or fauna with an experienced guide.
- PaddlingIncludes paddling activity such as sea kayaking or rafting.
Day 1 Rio Petrohue (L,D)
The trip starts in Puerto Varas on Llanquihue lakefront, and drive to the boathouse in Ensenada where gear will be loaded on the kayaks. After suiting up and a briefing, the trip begins on the gentle waters of the lower Río Petrohué. After lunch we reach the Ralun Hot Springs where we stop for a while on the river bank in these natural pools. After the hot springs, we paddle through the Basaltic Gorge and get wide vistas of the fjord.
In total, on Day 1, we paddle nearly 15 miles with views towards the magnificent Osorno Volcano. After finding a suitable spot to set up camp, we enjoy a well-earned dinner under the stars.
After breakfast and cleaning the camp, we get back in our vessels and head south down the gorge, with a view of the Volcanoes Yates and Hornopiren. Heading out from Ralun Bay, we eventually reach the cove of Cochamó and head into the spectacular valley of the Río Cochamó. After paddling upstream the last kilometer of the river, we pull into a beach and walk to Campo Aventura’s Riverside lodge on the riverbank.
After checking in, we have time to stretch our legs before a three-course candle-lit dinner and overnight stay in cottages.
Day 3 Reloncavi Fjord (B,L,D)
After a solid breakfast we paddle down the clear waters of the Río Cochamó back into the Reloncavi fjord, and head further south – at times accompanied by dolphins and sea lions, while seeing more and more sea-birds. Today is a long day on the water, and in the afternoon we reach a tiny cove, with natural hot springs – the Sotomo Hot Springs.
If the tide allows for it we can take a dip in the warm saltwater pools.
This evening, we head to the German settler-style home of a local family, where we will spend the night and share dinner.
Day 4 Return to Puerto Varas (B,L)
Waking up on the eastern side of the fjord, we get an early start in calm morning conditions to head to the village of Río Puelo on the other side. We paddle across and are rewarded by a good lunch on the other bank.
After lunch, we meet our transfer on the trail beside the fjord and load our kayaks and gear on, for the trip back to civilization. We reach Puerto Varas in the evening. Transfer to your accommodation.
|$450||Internal Flights (Santiago-Puerto Montt-Santiago)|
|Flight costs subject to change|