After arriving in Longyearbyen, the ‘capital’ (actually the administrative center) of Spitsbergen, you may wish to visit the Svalbard Museum which has an interesting collection on the history of Spitsbergen, the mining industry and polar exploration. In the afternoon set sail, setting course for Alkhornet. Below the cliffs you often see Arctic Foxes and Reindeer. Continue to Tryghamna to visit the remains of a 17th century English whaling station and an 18th century Russian Pomor station.
Day 2 Forlandsundet
Leave Tryghamna early in the morning and sail through the Forlandsundet. Weather permitting go ashore at Fuglehuken where the first Western Europeans (the expedition of Willem Barentsz) set foot on Spitsbergen. Here you can see the graves of whalers. Nearby you may be able to visit a haul-out of Harbour Seals and Walruses.
Day 3-5 Ny Ålesund / Blomstrandhalvøya
Visit Ny Ålesund, the northernmost permanently inhabited village in the world, a center for polar research and a former starting point for many North Pole expeditions (Amundsen and Nobile for example). The Reindeers here are smaller than their mainland relatives and do not form large herds. At Blomstrandhalvøya see the remains of a marble mine. This area was a peninsula, but by the retreat of the glaciers it has become an island. A climb to the top of the islands gives a breathtaking view across Kongsfjord with a series of glacier fronts. The 14th July Glacier is another great landscape. Though late in autumn you will still see Eider Ducks, several species of seabirds, waders and Snow Buntings.
Day 6-7 Sailing South
On your way south, sail into Engelskbukta and St Johnsfjorden or Sarstangen and Poolepynten, where Walruses are often hauled out. From there sail into Isfjord where you may make a landing with a walk at Bohemanneset. In the evening head back to Longyearbyen.
Day 8 Longyearbyen / Disembark
Departure by scheduled flight from Longyearbyen to Oslo.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published.
Below per person rate based on previous season.
Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Select a Date
Twin Non Private
The ‘Noorderlicht’ provides accommodation for 20 travellers in comfortable twin cabins.
All cabins have upper and lower berths, a cupboard and wash basin with hot and cold water. Shared shower (4) and toilet (5) facilities are conveniently located.
This Add-on is available only for our travelers extending or customizing their itinerary.
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double occupancy.
- Cabins are available for single occupancy at 1.7 times the double occupancy rate.
- Due to the extreme nature of itinerary destinations, travel insurance is mandatory for all cruises aboard the Noorderlicht - including medical, accident and repatriation/evacuation insurance.
Cruise fare includes:
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary.
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea.
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac.
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff.
- Transfers and baggage handling between the airport, hotels and ship only for those passengers on the group flights to and from Longyearbyen.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme.
- AECO fees and governmental taxes.
- Comprehensive pre-departure material.
Not included in cruise fare:
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- pre- and post land arrangements
- transfers to / from the vessel outside Spitsbergen
- passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- meals ashore
- baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is strongly recommended)
- excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).
It is agreed that if world fuel prices will reach or exceed US Dollar $120 per Barrel 90 days prior to 2013 departures, Noorderlicht reserves the right to levy a fuel surcharge of US Dollar 25 per passenger per night.
Beyond expectations! Then again we weren't sure what to expect. Lovely stay at the lodge, met other like-minded travelers (many had their trips planned by Adventure Life) and the owner was a gracious hostess. It felt like you were one happy family, visiting with a favorite aunt.