This extensive circuit of Spitsbergen is the most in-depth expedition to the Svalbard archipelago, where polar bear sightings are virtually guaranteed! Aboard the expedition vessel the Sea Spirit, explore Spitsbergen and other islands, always on the lookout for the ice bear and the tusked pinnipeds of the north – the walrus. On this Arctic tour you will discover that Spitsbergen also boasts a remarkably diverse landscape, offering you the chance to explore everything from jagged mountain peaks and colorful fields of vegetation to sweeping Polar deserts.
Day 1 : Embark in Longyearbyen Days 2-12 : Circumnavigation Spitsbergen Day 13 : Disembarkation in Longyearbyen
Your Spitsbergen small ship expedition itinerary begins when you board your ship in Longyearbyen, the island's largest settlement. Enjoy your first view of the island's rugged, glacier-topped mountains, rising majestically from icy Arctic waters.
Day 2-12 Circumnavigation Spitsbergen
Expect a new arctic adventure every day, as you journey around the island of Spitsbergen and explore smaller, outlying islands. The variety of incredible wildlife and geological formations found here is astounding! Every small ship expedition will be unique, but a few of the favorite landing sites include the 14th of July Glacier, Ny London, Phippsoya, Alkefjellet and Sundneset.
The names may seem strange to you, but they each have their own unique appeal. For birders, the 14th of July Glacier is home to Purple Sandpipers, Common Eiders, Barnacle Geese and Arctic Terns; while Alkefjellet is home to nesting Brunich Guillemots and Thick-billed Murres.
If you want to prove that Reindeer are real, then you’ll want to have your camera ready for visits to sites like Ny London, Sundneset and Alkhornet. As for the largest land carnivore in the world – searching for Polar Bears is a constant activity, with Phippsoya and Isbukta being two of their preferred places for hunting – meaning great potential for you to capture them in action.
The walrus sanctuary off Moffen Island is another place often visited, as it can offer you some great opportunities for photographing walrus from the sea.
A big part of appreciating Spitsbergen comes from understanding the culture, not just how people live today, but how this land was first explored. Whaling was a key industry here and you will see blubber ovens and other whaling evidence at landing sites such as Smeerenburg.
Add in the potential for spotting Beluga Whales and colorful tundra meadows displays complemented by immense glaciers, and you start to understand just how much there is to see in Spitsbergen.
Day 13 Disembarkation in Longyearbyen
Your arctic adventure ends as it began, in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here transfer to the airport for your flight home.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published.
Below per person rate based on previous season.
Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Oceanus Deck, 250 sq ft. Window, 2 twins or king bed, pull out sofa bed. Private bath facilities.
Main deck, 215 sq ft. 2 portholes, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities.
Oceanus deck, 250 sq ft. Window, 2 twin beds or king bed, private bath facilities.
Club deck, 235 sq ft. Picture window, walk in closet, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities.
Sports deck, 277 sq ft. Sliding glass door and private balcony. Walk-in closet, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities.
Sun Deck, 353 sq ft. Sliding glass door and private balcony, picture window, sitting area, 2 twins or king bed, private bath facilities
Sun deck, spacious living room and meeting area, HD TV, sound system, sliding glass door to private sun deck. King bed in separate sleeping area, large bathroom with jetted tub.
This Add-on is available only for our travelers extending or customizing their itinerary.
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double occupancy. Request the Twin Share Program where you are matched with a cabin mate of the same gender. Even if a cabin mate is not found for you, no single supplement will be charged.
-Cabins are available for single occupancy at 1.7 times the double occupancy rate. The supplement for a suite is 2 times the shared rate.
-Emergency medical evacuation coverage for a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person is included. Contact us for details on arranging additional travel insurance.
Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy – and excitement – of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. The above is a tentative outline of what you’ll experience on this cruise – please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
· Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping.
· All breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks on board throughout your voyage.
· All shore landings per the daily program.
· Leadership throughout the voyage by an experienced Expedition Leader, including shore landings and other activities.
· All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program.
· Formal and informal presentations by the Expedition Team and Special Guests as scheduled.
· Photographic Journal on DVD, documenting the voyage.
· A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings.
· An official parka to keep.
· Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock.
· A complimentary selection of alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.
· Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin.
· Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader.
· All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program.
· All luggage handling aboard ship.
· On disembarkation day, group transfer from the ship to the airport as specified.
· Emergency Evacuation Insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $100,000 per person
· Arrival transfer from Longyearbyen airport to your hotel if you arrive one day prior to embarkation.
· On embarkation day transfer from your hotel or Longyearbyen airport to the ship.
· On disembarkation day, a group transfer from the ship to your hotel or to the Longyearbyen airport.
Our guide and driver were very good with their knowledge and were very helpful with our questions. It was a very pleasant visit that would have been impossible to do on our own. Hotels and restaurants were fantastic. The special places we got to go to, like the kitchens, were great. Enjoyed the entire trip!