Board the Rembrandt Van Rijn and sail along the rugged and glaciated Volquart Boons Coast. This 11-day voyage takes you through Scoresby Sund. Further, you land on Danmarksø where there are the remains of an Inuit settlement abandoned around 200 years ago. See musk oxen on Jameson Land and visit Ittoqqortoormiit. As you sail through the fjords enjoy the autumnal colors against the backdrop of the dark mountains and cold, blue icebergs.
Cruise along the glaciated coast line and land near Mane Glacier
Visit the remains of an Inuit settlement abandoned around 200 years ago
Navigate the narrow fjords among the towering blue icebergs
Experience wildlife on Jameson Land including musk oxen and seabirds
In the morning sail along the ragged and glaciated Volquart Boons Coast. Here you may embark on a zodiac cruise along one of the glacier fronts of this coast, and have your first landing near a glacier, like Maanegletsjer or in Vikingebugt.
You land on Danmarks Ø where there are remains of an Inuit settlement abandoned around 200 years ago. The circular ‘tent rings’ of stones indicate the summer houses, while the winter houses can be seen closer to a small cape. The sites are well preserved, allowing entrances and even bear-proof meat caches to be identified. There are also grave sites.
You continue sailing through the beautiful fjords to the west, choked with icebergs and try to land on Røde Ø, where you see incredible beautiful sandstone formations with basalt intrusions and a background of myriads of contrasting blue ice-bergs. If the ice conditions allow attempt to navigate Røde Fjord, famed for its beauty. It is a fantastic alternating landscape with the red sedimentary rocks to the west completing the amazing scenery all around. You may find a good place to land and take a walk in the autumn vegetation with good chances to see musk oxen and guaranteed amazing views.
Go ashore at C. Hofman Halvø, a reliable spot for viewing musk oxen. You may also spot rock ptarmigan and at sea, the great northern fiver. The landscape here is particularly beautiful, especially during autumn when the dwarf willow and dwarf birch change colour. Arctic blueberry and crowberry add their own colorful touch - the berries are tasty too! In the evening sail through the fjord towards Scoresby Land, enjoying the contrast between the warm autumnal colors of the vegetation on shore, backed by huge dark mountains, and the cold blue of the icebergs.
Sail through one of the most spectacular Fjords in the world. Ø Fjord is almost 40 nm long, only a few nm wide and with mountains of up to 2000 meters high on each side. Large icebergs are drifting through as the depth reaches more than 1000 meters. Aim to find shelter in Jyttehavn on the so-called Bjørneøer (Bear Islands) and potentially make a landing in the later afternoon.
On your way to Sydkap in Scoresby Land in the morning, encounter huge icebergs, some over 100 m high and more than a kilometer in length. Most of the bergs are grounded as the fjord is “only” about 400 m deep here. Land near Sydkap to view the remains of the Thule culture winter houses. As many as 20 people lived in these tiny houses, hunting Greenland whale and using their vertebrae to build the houses.
Today, visit Ittoqqortoormiit, the biggest settlement near Scoresby Sund with about 400 inhabitants. At the post office you can buy stamps for your postcards, or just wander around to see the sledge dogs and the drying skins of seals, musk oxen, and polar bear.
In the morning land on the south coast of Jameson Land near Kap Stewart at a lagoon, an area with waders and geese collecting for the autumn migration. The landscape here is gently undulating. Musk oxen and collared lemming survive on the meager vegetation. Further inside Hurry Inlet you may land near the head of the fjord and take a walk near one of the rivers terminating here. You may opt to do an excursion near Hareelv and climb J. P. Kochs Fjeld. In this area they found the fossils of the link between fish and amphibians in the lower Cretaceous. Spend the night at anchor off Constable Pynt.
Day 11: Constable Pynt | Disembark | Fly to Reykjavik
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published. Below per person rate based on previous season. Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Prices for are estimated based on inflation. Contact us to confirm pricing and availability for your desired departure date.
Select a Date
Triple Private Porthole
Main deck, upper and lower berths, private bath facilities and porthole.
Select a Date
Twin Private Inside
Lower deck, upper and lower berths, inside cabins with private bath facilities.
Select a Date
Twin Private Porthole
Lower deck, upper and lower berths or two lower berths, private bath facilities and porthole.
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double occupancy.
- Cabins are available for single occupancy at 1.7 times the double occupancy rate.
- Children between the ages of 3-15 receive a 40% discount in triple cabins, one child per cabin.
- Due to the extreme nature of itinerary destinations, travel insurance is mandatory for all cruises aboard the Rembrandt Van Rijn - including medical, accident and repatriation/evacuation insurance.
This itinerary is for guidance only. Programs may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions, the availability of landing sites and opportunities to see wildlife. The final itinerary will be determined by the Expedition Leader on board. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises.
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- Transfers and baggage handling between the airport, hotels and ship only for those passengers on the group flights to and from Longyearbyen.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- AECO fees and governmental taxes
- Comprehensive pre-departure materials
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post land arrangements
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided)
Please note: It is agreed that if fuel prices will exceed US Dollar $120 per Barrel Brent 90 days prior to departure Ortelius reserves the right to levy a fuel surcharge of US Dollar 25 per passenger per night.
The trip might have been the absolute best of our lifetime (thus far). We particularly want to commend our guide Peter in the Guilin area-he was so incredibly attentive, energetic, enthusiastic-and absolutely dedicated to ensuring that our meals were 100% vegetarian.