During this 4-day cruise aboard the 3 mast-schooner Rembrandt van Rijn visit the island of Grimsey and take a guided walk across the Arctic Circle. At night observe the stunning Aurora borealis (Northern Lights). While sailing across Skjafandi Bay hope to see humpback whales, minke whales, white-beaked dolphins and harbour porpoise.
Day 1 : Akureyri | Embark Day 2 : Island of Grimsey Day 3 : Husavik Day 4 : Akureyri | Disembark
Observe the Northern Lights, Aurora borealis
Attempt a zodiac landing on the island of Grimsey
Sail across Skjafandi Bay searching for humpback and minke whales
Embark in Akureyri at 16.00 hrs. The ship leave port in the early evening and sail north towards the island of Grimsey. Late night arrival and anchor outside town. At night you might see Aurora borealis (Northern Lights).
Depending on weather conditions attempt a zodiac landing on the island of Grimsey in the morning. Take a guided walk across the Arctic Circle. There is a sign on the island which marks the coordinate 66,34 degree North. The Arctic Circle is the most northerly of the five major circles of latitude that mark maps of the Earth. After lunch get back on the ship and depart towards the small town of Husavik. While sailing across Skjafandi Bay hope to see whales. In the evening arrive near Husavik and anchor outside town.
Spend the morning in town of Husavik with free time ashore and the possibility to visit the whale museum (entrance fee not included). Lunch is served onboard. In the afternoon the ship sail across Skjafandi Bay with good chances to witness humpback whales, minke whales, white-beaked dolphins and harbour porpoise. Spend the night at sea, and arrive in Akureyri in the early morning hours.
Day 4 Akureyri | Disembark
Disembark in Akureyri after breakfast at 09.00 hrs (no bus provided on this day).
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published. Below per person rate based on previous season. Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Prices for are estimated based on inflation. Contact us to confirm pricing and availability for your desired departure date.
Select a Date
Triple Private Porthole
Main deck, upper and lower berths, private bath facilities and porthole.
Select a Date
Twin Private Inside
Lower deck, upper and lower berths, inside cabins with private bath facilities.
Select a Date
Twin Private Porthole
Lower deck, upper and lower berths or two lower berths, private bath facilities and porthole.
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double occupancy.
- Cabins are available for single occupancy at 1.7 times the double occupancy rate.
- Children between the ages of 3-15 receive a 40% discount in triple cabins, one child per cabin.
- Due to the extreme nature of itinerary destinations, travel insurance is mandatory for all cruises aboard the Rembrandt Van Rijn - including medical, accident and repatriation/evacuation insurance.
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- AECO fees and governmental taxes
- Comprehensive pre-departure materials
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post land arrangements
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- Customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided)
Our guide and driver were very good with their knowledge and were very helpful with our questions. It was a very pleasant visit that would have been impossible to do on our own. Hotels and restaurants were fantastic. The special places we got to go to, like the kitchens, were great. Enjoyed the entire trip!