Voyage to the Scoresby Sund and witness the Aurora Borealis while cruising the shores of East Greenland. Sail along the ragged and glaciated Volquart Boons Coast, land on Danmarksø where there are the remains of an Inuit settlement abandoned around 200 years ago, see musk oxen on Jameson Land, and visit Ittoqqortoormiit, and end the voyage in Iceland.
Day 1 : Embark in Nerlerit Inaat Day 2 : Volquart Boons Coast Day 3 : Danmarksø Day 4 : Jameson Land Day 5 : Ittoqqortoormiit Days 6-7 : At Sea Day 8 : Disembark in Akureyri, Iceland
Arrive by charter plane from Reykjavik at Nerlerit Inaat (Constable Pynt), the airfield at the head of Hurry Inlet. The area has a fantastic geology. Embark the vessel s/v Rembrandt van Rijn in the late afternoon.
In the morning sail along the ragged and glaciated Volquart Boons Coast. Here you may embark on a zodiac cruise along one of the glacier fronts of this coast, and have your first landing near a glacier, like Måne Glacier or in Vikingebugt.
Today, land on Danmarksø where there are the remains of an Inuit settlement abandoned around 200 years ago. The circular ‘tent rings’ of stones indicate the summer houses, while the winter houses can be seen closer to a small cape. The sites are well preserved, allowing entrances and even bear-proof meat caches to be identified. There are also grave sites.
Land at several places along the south coast of Jameson Land. The landscape here is gently undulating. Musk oxen and collared lemming survive on the meager vegetation. Geese and waders collect near a lagoon some way east of Kap Stewart.
Visit Ittoqqortoormiit, the biggest settlement in the Scoresby Sund with about 400 inhabitants. At the post office you can buy stamps for your postcards, or just wander around to see the sled dogs and the drying skins of seals, musk oxen, and polar bear.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published. Below per person rate based on previous season. Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Prices for are estimated based on inflation. Contact us to confirm pricing and availability for your desired departure date.
Select a Date
Triple Private Porthole
Main deck, upper and lower berths, private bath facilities and porthole.
Select a Date
Twin Private Inside
Lower deck, upper and lower berths, inside cabins with private bath facilities.
Select a Date
Twin Private Porthole
Lower deck, upper and lower berths or two lower berths, private bath facilities and porthole.
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double occupancy.
- Cabins are available for single occupancy at 1.7 times the double occupancy rate.
- Due to the extreme nature of itinerary destinations, travel insurance is mandatory for all cruises aboard the Rembrandt Van Rijn - including medical, accident and repatriation/evacuation insurance.
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Free use of snow shoes
- Transfers and baggage handling between airport and ship in Greenland harbors on the chartered group flights, and between ship in Akureyri and Hotel Reykjavik Centrum, Adalstraeti 16 by coach (6 hours)
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- AECO fees and governmental taxes
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided)
This was my first experience with Adventure Life - and I couldn't have been more pleased with the trip. The guides and local staff in both Buenos Aires and Uruguay were terrific - extremely helpful and accommodating. I really enjoyed meeting the friendly staff in Buenos Aires in person (I left my bags with them for the afternoon).