This 10-day Arctic voyage offers the best opportunities to spot the King of the Arctic: the polar bear. During your journey, engage in service-learning opportunities as you help clean up garbage from the ocean. Each day, 50 of the ship's passengers clean in the morning, while the other 50 have their excursion in another area. In the afternoon, the groups switch roles. Note: You may not be able to clean a certain area listed on the itinerary due to roaming bears. This cruise is a great way to help the environment in Svalbard while enjoying the beauty of the Arctic!
Day 1 : Embark in Longyearbyen Days 2-5 : Cleaning the Beaches of Northwest Spitsbergen Day 6 : East towards the Seven Islands Day 7 : The Cliffs of Alkefjellet Day 8 : At Sea Day 9 : Poolepynten Day 10 : Disembark in Longyearbyen
Spend half of your day cleaning the shores of drifting ocean garbage
Search for seals, whales & polar bears during the other half of your day
Stroll around the former mining town of Longyearbyen
Zodiac to the cliffs of Alkefjellet with thousands of Brünnich’s guillemots
Arrive in Longyearbyen, the administrative capital of the Spitsbergen archipelago. Before embarking, take the opportunity to stroll around this former mining town and stop to visit the parish church and Polar Museum. In the early evening, sail out of Isfjorden.
Day 2-5 Cleaning the Beaches of Northwest Spitsbergen
Sail along the Northwest coastline, as this area is the most exposed to the inflow of garbage, and begin the clean-up of Spitsbergen. In order to optimize the cleaning efforts, the Captain coordinates with the Governor of Svalbard to help decide which areas are best served by the effort.
Begin the search for polar bears as the ship sails to the ice pack in the north. Locate the ice edge and, where possible, enter the ice field in search of this animal. The ship's journey may take you east towards the Seven Islands, at approximately 80°40 N, where a landing can be attempted if the conditions are right.
Depending on the ice conditions, enter Hinlopen Strait. Situated between the largest two islands in the Svalbard archipelago, pay a visit by Zodiac to the cliffs of Alkefjellet, home to thousands of Brünnich’s guillemot. The Swedish-Finnish station of Kinnvika, which goes back to 1957 on the northwest of Nordaustlandet, offers some great walking opportunities in a polar desert environment which is so typical for the High Arctic. From here the views of Murchison Fjord make you appreciate why the Russian Pomor hunters also established themselves in the area.
Keep your eyes on the horizon for polar bears and harp seals as the ship sails westward. Off the coast of West Spitsbergen, hope to encounter blue and fin whales who forage in the upwelling along the Spitsbergen banks during summer.
Sail on a southern course around the long island of Prins Karls Forland, and plan to visit a known walrus haul out site at Poolepynten. In the afternoon, aim to land at Alkhornet, a prominent cliff with a large colony of Brünnich’s guillemot and kittiwakes. The vegetation is lush due to the constant fertilizing from the cliffs. Svalbard reindeer and geese take advantage of this while arctic foxes utilize the food source that a large bird cliff offers.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published. Below per person rate based on previous season. Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Prices for are estimated based on inflation. Contact us to confirm pricing and availability for your desired departure date.
Select a Date
4 quadruple cabins with bunk beds and private facilities (these can also be used as triple or twin cabins). Spacious outside cabins with a minimum of two portholes or windows per cabin
Select a Date
2 triple cabins with bunk beds and private facilities. These cabins are spacious with a minimum of two portholes or windows per cabin.
Select a Date
23 twin cabins with portholes, private toilet and shower and 2 single lower berths. Spacious outside cabins with a minimum of two portholes or windows per cabin.
Select a Date
10 twin cabins with windows, private toilet and shower and 2 single lower berths. Spacious outside cabins with a minimum of two portholes or windows per cabin
Select a Date
6 superior cabins with lower birth twin beds, private toilet and shower and a separate day room. Spacious outside cabins with a minimum of two portholes or windows per cabin
Select a Date
1 suite with a double bed, private toilet and shower and a separate day room. Spacious outside cabins with a minimum of two portholes or windows per cabin.
- Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and represent costs per person, double occupancy.
- Cabins are available for single occupancy at 1.7 times the double occupancy rate.
- Children between the ages of 3-15 will be discounted 40% in triple or quad cabins, one child per cabin.
- Due to the extreme nature of itinerary destinations, travel insurance is mandatory for all cruises aboard the Ortelius - including medical, accident and repatriation/evacuation insurance.
* Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary
* All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
* Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
* Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
* Transfers and baggage handling between the airport, hotels and ship only for those passengers on the group flights to and from Longyearbyen
* All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
* AECO fees and governmental taxes
* Comprehensive pre-departure material
* Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
* Pre- and post- land arrangements
* Passport and visa expenses
* Government arrival and departure taxes
* Meals ashore
* Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory)
* Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
* The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).
Please note: It is agreed that if fuel prices will exceed US Dollar $120 per Barrel Brent 90 days prior to departure, Ortelius reserves the right to levy a fuel surcharge of US Dollar 25 per passenger per night.
Our guide and driver were very good with their knowledge and were very helpful with our questions. It was a very pleasant visit that would have been impossible to do on our own. Hotels and restaurants were fantastic. The special places we got to go to, like the kitchens, were great. Enjoyed the entire trip!