The magnificent Virunga Lodge is the premier luxury gorilla lodge of Rwanda and one of Africa’s finest and most renowned lodges. The lodge is perched high on a ridge with stunning views of the Virunga Volcanoes and the Musanze valley to the west and Lake Bulera and Ruhondo to the east.
It offers the finest views in Africa, uniquely decorated rooms in the Rwandese style, fantastic food, and exceptional and personalized service by carefully trained staff. It is the first accommodation choice for the luxury traveler tracking the endangered mountain gorilla.
Each of the ten luxurious bandas has a private terrace from which guests can watch the sunrise over the dramatic landscape of mountains and lakes. Luxuriously appointed, with the accent on vibrant Rwandese fabrics and stylish locally inspired furniture.
Each Banda has an individual fireplace, a luxury shower room with double vanity, and a charging station.
The two deluxe bandas – called Ibirunga and Ibiyaga have their own private sitting room and more refined interiors.
Park: Parc National des Volcans
Number of Gorilla Families: 10
Number of Permits available: 80
Average trekking time: 3-7 hours
Time spent with Gorillas: 1 hour
Cost of extra Permit $750
Track the Golden Monkeys
Birding (over 200 species have been recorded in the PNV)
Visit Dian Fossey's Grave
Hike to the waterfalls
Walk the shores of Lake Bulera
Walk to the local village
Watch the local Intore Dancers
Visit local Community Projects
Visit local school
- Wifi access in the main lodge building and Dian Fossey Map Room
- Ikirunga – The Spa, two treatment rooms and a sauna overlooking the Virungas
- One complimentary massage per guest
- Premium wine, whiskey, and cocktail menus
- Complimentary laundry and boot cleaning service
- Personal butler service for all guests.
- 10 stone guest bandas with tile roofs (2 deluxe, 6 doubles and 2 twins) reflect the local building style
- Guide cottage available
- Bandas are individually named after lakes in the area