The Belize Zoo Jungle Lodge, also known as the Tropical Education center, is an 84 acre site set in unspoiled savannah land located adjacent to the Belize Zoo. Come and experience the fabulous birdwatching from the Bird Deck or take a hike on the unique savannah nature trail across a boardwalk meandering through the vegetation and up towering wildlife platforms in the canopy overwhelming the savanna.
The facility is geared towards promoting environmental education and scientific research. The Lodge is equipped with a classroom, a library, kitchen and dining area, as well as the dormitories which can accommodate as many as 30 people. The water source is a well which is treated and filtered through a charcoal filter. There are also outdoor showers and flush toilets.
The institution was developed on the premises that education and awareness are fundamental to wildlife conservation and therefore caters especially to schools groups. The "Savanna Castle" includes comfortable dormitory style accommodations that are equipped with hot and cold shower, wash house and study area. All rooms have 110V outlets, ceiling or standing fans and fresh linen is provided.
Among the tropical savanna vegetation are 10 Forest Cabanas, each on a raised platform, fully screened and equipped with a full size bed or two twin size beds complete with linen. This facility provides a shared bathroom with hot and cold water and is ideal for travelers seeking that "jungly" experience.
The Belize Zoo Jungle Lodge has three VIP cabins equipped with hot and cold shower and are nestled along the edges of a fresh water pond in the middle of a tropical savanna forest.
Some of the activities available at the Belize Zoo Jungle Lodge are:
- Savannah Nature Trail -
This nature trail meanders through the pine savannah over boardwalks and up towering wildlife platforms. Learn about the ecology of the savanna and witness some of the wildlife found in this unique habitat, like yellow head parrots, armadillos and grey fox.
- Bird Deck -
An excellent opportunity to observe a number of resident and migratory birds at The Belize Zoo Jungle Lodge. See birds like the Chachalaca, social flycatcher, citrolene Trogo and and much more off the Bird Deck.
- Canoe Trips -
1/2 day canoe trips down the Sibun River with a guide and lunch provided. Sandy beaches riverine forest, great birdwatching, iguanas, peccary, coatis and much more wildlife often seen.
- Zoo Nocturnal Tour -
See the animals in the zoo at night, behind the scene tour. Hold a friendly Boa Constrictor. Learn about the natural history of these endangered species from the expert zoo keeper guides. See the animals close-up in their natural habitat exhibits.
- Natural History Lectures -
Lectures are available on the natural history of the flora and fauna of Belize. Also a variety of wildlife documentaries done in Belize.
The Belize Zoo Jungle Lodge is eco-friendly! Look what the Jungle Lodge does to do their part.
- Styrofoam gets THUMBS DOWN. The Belize Zoo Jungle Lodge uses only environmentally-friendly disposables.
- Compost! This enriched organic mixture is then used to feed the Lodge plants and trees.
- All plastic bottles are crushed and recycled in Belize.
- Water for washing comes from the Lodge's own well.
- Large quantities of laundry are NOT washed in machines, as this takes a hefty electrical load. INSTEAD - Belize Zoo Jungle Lodge has initiated a local laundry service. Employing neighboring women, they provide them with the necessary resources to make these tasks happen efficiently. Less energy is used and happy ladies earn their own funds.
- An evening meal in the Belize Zoo Jungle Lodge dining room is by candlelight, reducing the amount of electricity.
- Whenever possible, Belize Zoo Jungle Lodge and Zoo employees use bicycles NOT fuel-driven vehicles for daily work/travel tasks.
Beyond expectations! Then again we weren't sure what to expect. Lovely stay at the lodge, met other like-minded travelers (many had their trips planned by Adventure Life) and the owner was a gracious hostess. It felt like you were one happy family, visiting with a favorite aunt.