After breakfast, a guided walking tour of Trier, Germany’s oldest city introduces you to its rich Roman past. See the Roman Baths, Trier Cathedral, Basilica of Constantine and the Porta Nigra gate that dates back to 180 A.D. Continue on to Bernkastel, strategically located in the middle of the Mosel wine-producing region, an area that has been cultivating wine for over 500 years. A guided walking tour through the old town center this afternoon takes you past many medieval and Renaissance buildings. Also enjoy a winery visit to sample several different regional vintages. The ship departs later this evening and cruises overnight.
Today, the ship makes a brief stop in Alken, where you have a choice of two excursions – Cochem or Koblenz. In Cochem, take a guided tour of the spectacular hilltop Reichsburg Castle, which offers fascinating views of the river valley. Alternatively, travel to Koblenz, a historic wine-growing town, where you can see the Four Towers, the Church of Our Lady, and hear the story behind the Schängel Fountain and City Hall. Return to the ship for a scenic afternoon cruise along the most beautiful part of the Rhine, with ruined castles and fortresses and the legendary Lorelei Rock. Arrive in Rüdesheim this evening and visit the Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum after dinner. The ship moors overnight in in Rüdesheim.
The ship departs Rüdesheim this morning and cruises to beautiful Mainz, arriving after lunch. Your guided walking tour includes a visit to the Gutenberg Museum, home to two copies of the world’s first printed Bible and centuries-old manuscripts and printing presses. Alternatively, travel by motor coach to Heidelberg, Germany’s oldest university town. Visit the red-walled castle and see its Great Vat (a 49,000-gallon 18th-century wine cask), and also enjoy gorgeous views of the Neckar Valley and city below. Later this afternoon, the ship departs Mainz and cruises overnight to Wertheim.
This morning, take a guided tour of Würzburg showing you all of the major sights or visit the Residenz Palace and gardens, a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of Europe’s best examples of Baroque architecture. This afternoon, take an optional excursion to medieval Rothenburg for a walking tour and free time to explore on your own. A famous shop dedicated solely to Christmas is located here, offering handmade ornaments, nutcrackers and other seasonal wares. The ship cruises to Kitzingen, arriving this evening. The local Aulic Council and Wine Queen escort you to Germany’s oldest wine cellar to sample regional wines. Later tonight, the ship sails to Bamberg.
After arriving this afternoon in enchanting Bamberg, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, take a guided walking tour of this medieval gem. Admire the town’s breathtaking cathedral, the Old Town Hall that straddles the river, and the serpentine streets lined with lovely houses and 18th-century mansions. Also sample some of Bamberg’s famous smoked beer. This evening, your ship cruises to Nuremberg.
Day 8: Disembark in Nuremberg, Germany
Following breakfast on board, disembark and bid farewell to Germany. Transfer to the airport for flights home.
255 sq. feet. 3 cabins on
Violin Deck. French balcony, sitting area, bathtub and shower, Infotainment system, safe, hair dryer, bathrobes, A/C, ample closet space. #310-304.
Please note: Cruise fares do not include port charges.
- 7 Nights Deluxe Cruise Accommodation in an Outside Stateroom - 82% of the Staterooms have large French Balconies
- Daily Sightseeing Program as outlined in the Itinerary
- Infotainment System in all Staterooms with Free Internet, Hit Movies, Music Library and English Language TV Stations
- Terry Bathrobes and White-on-white plush Bedding in all Staterooms
- Superb Dining with all Meals included during your Cruise
- Free-flowing Red & White Wines from Europe's great Wine Regions, beer and soft drinks with every Dinner on board the Ship
- Bottled Water in every stateroom replenished daily
- Cocktail Reception, Welcome Dinner & Captain's Gala Dinner
- Special Highlights including Lectures, Theme Dinners, Cooking Demonstration, onboard Music Performances and afternoon & evening Piano Music
- Use of Bicycles to explore on your own
- Services of Professional Cruise Manager
- All English Language on board in a non-smoking Environment (smoking permitted only on the Sun Deck)
- All local Taxes
Beyond expectations! Then again we weren't sure what to expect. Lovely stay at the lodge, met other like-minded travelers (many had their trips planned by Adventure Life) and the owner was a gracious hostess. It felt like you were one happy family, visiting with a favorite aunt.