The Yangshuo Mountain Retreat is a gem among Guilin Yangshuo hotels. Originally conceived as a simple ecolodge where friends could escape from the large cities and experience local beauty, the retreat has grown in popularity but remained true to the authenticity of its original concept, like offering a simple farm-to-table menu. The Yangshuo Mountain Retreat is unique due to its legendary service, breathtaking views of the Yulong River, upgraded accommodations, sustainability initiatives, and commitment to empowering local people as retreat staff.
Three room types are available – Family Rooms, Superior Rooms, and Standard Rooms – with a variety of bed sizes and some with private balconies or terraces. All rooms are furnished with handmade, locally produced bamboo furniture, which is designed and selected for its sustainable ecological qualities and the retreat’s “buy local” philosophy. All rooms are also equipped with air conditioning, heating, a hot water kettle, coffee, tea, and in-room bathrooms stocked with complimentary toiletries chosen for ecological considerations.
The Yangshuo Mountain Retreat is the winner of multiple awards, such as being recommended by Lonely Planet as one of the best hotels in China for families traveling with children. The Retreat has also won top accolades from TripAdvisor, Condé Nast Traveler, National Geographic, Harper’s Bazaar Magazine, The Daily Telegraph, and more! The Yangshuo Mountain Retreat is also involved in charity work, most notably by donating 5% of profits to the Chinese-US Medical Foundation each year.
A variety of activities and attractions introduce travelers to the unique scenery and culture of Yangshuo China. Amongst the myriad options, guests may take boat trips and cruises on the Li River, explore amazing karst caves created by the gradual retreat of inland seas, or learn to cook Chinese food in a traditional Chinese farmhouse.
* Yangshuo Mountain Retreat Restaurant
* Bamboo Bar
* Tea Shop
* Private dining room for up to 16 people
* 100 mbps Optic Fiber free wireless internet
* 24 hour email access
* Airport to Yangshuo Town transportation service
* Non-smoking rooms and restaurant
* Complimentary shuttle bus to Village Inn
* Same day laundry service (weather permitting)
* Tours and ticket booking for activities, including Liusanjie Light Show
* Family Rooms - Family rooms can accommodate two adults with two kids, or four adults. The five rooms designed for families contain either two queen beds, one queen and one full bed, or one queen bed and bunk beds in an adjoining room. Family rooms feature a private entrance with terrace or a private balcony, both with unsurpassed views of the gardens, Yulong River, and mountains.
* Superior Rooms - Superior Rooms feature furnished private balconies and the best views of the gardens, Yulong River, and karst mountains beyond. Rooms feature a queen bed or two full size beds, each able to sleep two people.
* Standard Rooms – Standard Rooms feature mountain views facing away from the river, with some partial river views. Some rooms contain private balconies. Rooms are equipped with either two full size beds, one full bed, four twin beds, or three twin beds.
Room amenities include:
* DVD + LCD TV
* Air conditioning
* Private bathroom w/ shower
* Western toilet
* 24-hour hot water
* Hand woven slippers
* Hot water kettle
* Coffee and fresh tea
* Electric mosquito repellent
* Laundry service
* Hand-made, locally produced bamboo furniture
Select rooms offer:
* Balcony or terrace
* Yangshuo Mountain Retreat Restaurant – Delicious cuisine combined with a relaxed atmosphere makes Yangshuo Mountain Retreat’s restaurant the highlight of many a guest’s stay. The menu is filled with distinct cuisine and local specialties from Yangshuo County. The kitchen staff buys fresh ingredients every day from nearby villages, and are also from these villages and grew up with the dishes they prepare for guests. Some local favorites include: beer fish, braised pumpkin, sizzling beef, and Li River shrimp. The Chinese menu is a combination of dishes cooked in the traditional Yangshuo style, such as spicy tofu and pineapple chicken.
The Yangshuo Mountain Retreat restaurant also prepares a range of western dishes for those who may be homesick or missing a taste of something familiar. Menu items such as spaghetti, beef burgers, pork chops, salads, and soups are available. Sumptuous western breakfasts are served daily.
* Tea Shop – A selection of fine Chinese teas are available for purchase and also served in the restaurant. Learn how to perform a Chinese tea ceremony from one of the restaurant staff, with an assortment of teas chosen by you.
* Yangshuo Mountain Retreat Bamboo Bar – The Bamboo Bar is furnished with locally grown bamboo seating made by a local craftsman. The bar seats 20 people, and takes the Chinese art of Feng Shui into consideration. The Retreat also has a selection of wines from around the world and Belgian beers for guests to enjoy. The bar is equipped with air conditioning for hot summer days, a log fire for winter months, a stack of board games, great music, and a large variety of drinks for an ultimate relaxing atmosphere.
Yangshou Mountain Retreat believes in meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Inclusive in the price of the rooms and food is a 5% green tax that is used to help achieve this core aim. As a certified green hotel, the Retreat serves as a model for sustainable tourism in China. Initiatives include:
* Water – The hotel has drilled its own well and set up a cistern to reduce the impact on water resources in the area. All plants are watered by hand rather than sprinklers. Gray water is contained in an open septic field covered with water lilies and inhabited by snails and frogs. Groundwater-friendly chemicals are used for cleaning.
* Power – In 2011, the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat stopped using coal and converted all hot water to solar and electric.
* Waste – All food waste is recycled to local farms. Plastic, paper, and glass is separated for local recycling. No disposable products are used, including paper napkins, single-use chopsticks, plastic wrapping, or plastic water bottles.
* Flora & Fauna – The land on which the Mountain Retreat was built was previously comprised of fallow rice terraces. The hotel has planted over 300 plants and trees including native bougainvillea, orange osmanthus trees, bananas, bamboo, birds of paradise, fig trees, pipa trees, pineapple palms and evergreens! This vegetation has encouraged local frogs, snakes, bats, insects, and birds to recolonize the area. Local bamboo is used to make custom furniture for the Retreat.
* Staff – The majority of staff are from neighboring villages, which empowers local people and also provides an authentic experience for guests to learn about local culture and traditions. Locally made products are sold in the Resort’s charity shop, including hand woven slippers, food and village produce, and handicrafts.