After breakfast, you will be picked up from your Cusco hotel and set out on a drive through the South Valley, following the road towards Puno. En route you will have chance to visit the picturesque Andean village of Checacupe with its colonial stone bridge and the “Immaculate Conception” church. Eventually, you will arrive to Pitumarca (3600 masl), which is the last village to buy supplies or snacks. From Pitumarca, the route is unpaved until you reach Quesoyoni (4376 masl). Here you will meet the local horseman who will accompany the group on this hiking adventure. All the gear will be loaded onto the horses and the uphill hike beginas! Following the path of a stream; you will be greeted by herds of alpacas and llamas along the way. Stop to eat lunch at Anantapata with sweeping views of the magnificent Ausangate Mountains and the valley. After lunch, you will hike for almost 2 hours climbing steadily until reaching the Anantapata pass (5010 masl). At the pass, take in the amazing view of the Vilcanota mountain chain. Your campsite will be a one hour hike downhill, close to the Surine qocha (4795 masl).
Level of difficulty: Moderate/Challenging Distances for this hiking day:
• Distance from Cusco to Quesoyoni, by bus: 135 km (84 miles)
• Distance from Quesoyoni to Anantapata pass: 9 km (5.5 miles)
• Distance from Anantapata pass to Surine Qocha: 1.20 km (0.7 miles)
• Lowest elevation - Quesoyoni, starting point: 4376 meters (14,357 feet)
• Highest Elevation - Anantapata pass: 5,010 meters (16,437 feet)
• Distance to walk: 10.20 km (6.5 miles)
• Average walking time: 6 hours
Day 2: Rainbow Mountain
1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch
Wake early in the morning to be greeted by hot beverages and a hearty breakfast. Today's goal is to reach Vinicunca Mountain (5040 masl). After 1 ½ hours hiking uphill, you will be rewarded for your efforts when the amazing Vinicunca (known as the rainbow mountain) come into view! Its colorful layers of turquoise, orange, brown, and red rock sediment are in stark contrast to the snow-capped Ausangate beside of it. Take your time photographing and soaking in this incredible sight. After some time to rest, we will start to hike downhill along the K´airahuire valley. Enjoy lunch at K´airahuire (4530 masl) before heading to your final destination, Quesoyoni. Here you will board your private bus transfer back to Cusco.
Level of difficulty: Challenging Distances for this hiking day:
• Distance from Surine Qocha to Vinicunca: 3.4 km (2 miles)
• Distance from Vinicunca to Quesoyoni: 8 km (5 miles)
• Highest Elevation - Vinicunca: 5,040 masl (16,535 feet)
• Lowest elevation - Quesoyoni: 4376 masl (14,357 feet)
• Distance to walk: 11.40 km (7 miles)
• Average walking Time: 5 hours (3 hour ascent / 2 hour descent)
Dates & Prices
Per person starting at
Apologies for the inconvenience. Prices for not yet published. Below per person rate based on previous season. Contact us to confirm upcoming season pricing.
Prices for are estimated based on inflation. Contact us to confirm pricing and availability for your desired departure date.
The trip was terrific with great planning on your part. Most of the adventures were not mainstream and somewhat off the beaten path which made it especially enjoyable!! We felt taken care of and you all were readily available to respond to questions and issues. I would highly recommend your company and friends have already expressed interest based on our pictures and excitement.